News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

An AE phone with issues.

Started by kozzy, November 08, 2016, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kozzy

Hi all. Thanks for having me on the board, this is my first post. Anyways, i picked this phone up in hopes of having a good conversation piece in my home. I was told it was complete nd working, knowing nothing about payphones, i was dupped. Heres what i know. Its an automatic electric and missing a bunch of stuff. I know it needs a coin mech as i have no idea what that slide thing does but it does not look like any pictures of a coin mech i have seen. It needs a coin relay, its missing. I am sure there is more. I am posting some picturez in the hope some one can tell me the model number and give me a lead on getting the parts i need. I know it will be a project, one bordering on being a basket case, but i want to try.

rdelius

that upper housing has been drilled out for that dial plus the coin chute is a Phoneco creation.It might be easier to find another upper housing.Your relay is missing its trigger and other parts.Most likely this was an LPB-86-55 or LPB-86-10 semi postpay.

kozzy

Any idea where i could find an upper housing?

Jim Stettler

If you buy another upper housing, make sure it comes with the coin chute.
Many times an empty upper or a coin chute will sell for the same price as an upper housing with the chute. Also it can be hard to find reasonably priced coin chutes.

JMO,
Jim S.

Best place to find the housing would be Ebay, this forum ,   ATCA, TCI  or a phone show. You might try Craigslist as well.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Stan S

Kozzy
Before you end up throwing good money after bad..........STOP!

What you have is basically NOTHING.
It's an empty payphone case. Even if you buy another payphone top you still have a bottom that has no wiring harness.

What type of payphone do you want to build? For what type of service?
Prepay, semi-postpay, local prepay, for manual or machine switching, rotary or Touch Tone.

Before you buy any more junk first familiarize yourself with the various types of payphones.
Do you want the phone to actually work as a payphone or just a simple extension phone?

There are MANY complete Automatic Electric payphones on Ebay right now that will end up costing you much less than if you bought the parts to fill that empty payphone case.

Stan S.

Stan the Man

YES YES,.. By all means, LISTEN TO STAN S!! First and foremost familiarize yourself with what you have, and what you want.. Save yourself all the headaches.. I never knew there was so much to learn about payphones.. I lucked out and had a good phone to work with, it was just missing a few parts..

Good luck with whatever you decide..
Stan the Man

HarrySmith

Since it was sold as complete and working but is far from being that, maybe you can return it? Get your money back and buy something that is complete. Maybe before buying another ask about it here. I am not a payphone expert but Stan is, I am sure he can give advice on any payphone you find.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"