"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Swirled telephones

Started by Jim Stettler, December 20, 2009, 02:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have some swirled parts as well.

phonetech87

The First swirl telephone I saw in person was a Ray Kotke Creation.

That was a while back and since then I have seen a boat load of swirl phones.

Ben Salem

Jim Stettler

Quote from: phonetech87 on October 06, 2020, 05:39:42 PM
The First swirl telephone I saw in person was a Ray Kotke Creation.

Ben Salem
I am always interested in expanding my swirl collection. trades preferred.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

I have a handful of transmitter cups that are marbled, but I've never seen a complete telephone in person.

They seem to be pretty rare-is that correct?
[/quote]

I call them HTF.
SC had 4 official swirl colors. Red. Green yellow and Brown. These were swirled with white.
It seems they may have used 2 shades of the base colors on the official swirls.
There seem to be a lot of unofficial back -door swirl sets. On these  sets the pieces seem to made at different times and created into phones later.

You can tell by the color variations of the parts in regard to  main color of the phone.
Another variation I call 'Marbleized Swirl. This is when the swirls are larger and look more like marble vs official swirl sets.

It is very hard to find a swirl 500 that has all parts swirl. Usually the grip and/ handset caps are not. I have only seen 1 with a swirl dial. It may be a back painted dial.

Some of the guys that were really good at creating swirl sets used pastel yellow vs white. Some of them mixed the color pellets together before adding them to the mold. Vs dumping the 2 colors together and letting them mix in the mold.
These are just observations and opinions.
Jim

Sorry about the 13 year wait on reply
Quote from: benhutcherson on December 20, 2009, 04:33:45 PM
Very nice.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kleenax

Quote from: phonetech87 on October 06, 2020, 05:39:42 PMThe First swirl telephone I saw in person was a Ray Kotke Creation.

Ben Salem
My latest project - Swirled.... Or as I like to say, "Marblesque" ;-) Yes, I still have work to do on it!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 20, 2009, 02:10:24 PM...The green Princess is actually made of marble and has SC guts. The trimlines are SC Slenderettes. The last picture shows the 4 official swirl color for the SC Slenderettes...
Nice!

Mike