"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Examples of Reproduction Telephone Signs

Started by Sargeguy, September 10, 2013, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 03, 2015, 12:20:58 AM
The plot thickens-looks like a previous buyer, who paid full price, reneged.  I thought all the previous auctions ended with a Best Offer.  Don't you have to pay immediately in order to use the Buy-It-Now option?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281550297947

No you DON'T have to pay instantly on a BIN.

eBay takes you to the Pay for it Now page on a BIN but if you bail out at that point you have still bought it and eBay is waiting for you to pay for it. I have done this a couple of times now. I cant specifically recall why I initially bailed out of paying the first time I did that but more recently I asked the seller a question to clarify something before doing the BIN but my question wasn't quickly answered. Not wanting to lose the deal to someone else I "Bought it Now" but didn't pay until my question was answered. In this particular example I checked and the item was no longer listed for someone else to grab.

Terry

poplar1

Seller has option of requiring immediate payment for BINs. Buyer is advised that until payment is made, another person can buy the item. And yes, I have missed out on items i had already "bought it now" because i didn't pay right away.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Doctored repro-look at the other auctions:  Bell public telephone lubester pump plate porcelain gas oil sign
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is another fake Lincoln Telephone sign from Argentina.  It is a good example of faked rust:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331777501465
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

My first reaction is the application of the "too new to be true" rule, although there appears to be some wear at 8 o'clock.  There's no pic of the reverse side.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Fabius

Quote from: Brinybay on February 18, 2016, 12:06:41 PM
My first reaction is the application of the "too new to be true" rule, although there appears to be some wear at 8 o'clock.  There's no pic of the reverse side.

There appears to be depth of the lettering in the wording "Bell System" which may indicate a original '21 Bell sign. If there was a picture of the flange that would help.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on February 25, 2014, 11:44:17 PM
Quote from: Sargeguy on February 25, 2014, 07:01:14 PM
Looks like a repro to me.   :'(  This is the sign they were knocking off, although I suspect this might be bogus despite the rust and chipped paint:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261408191000
I have seen three different examples of this sign.
1. was a definite repro, thin metal small corner holes
2. was heavy gauge metal with larger corner holes and better quality paint it seemed to be an earlier repro  { possibly a later original sign but most likely repro.}
and sign #3 was about   8 or 10" square and was a very nice original porcelain sign.

This sign looks like #2, the damage to the metal and paint would appear different if it was #1.

I am interested in a porcelain example of this sign.
Jim

So any original sign like this would be porcelain?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

That one looks like it could have been one that was painted on. Probably on wood and maybe on brick buildings.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

So any original sign like this would be porcelain?

It is the concenous of most sign collectors that the original candlestick "telephone you telegraphs ..." signs were porcelain. This sign has been reproduced for a long time.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Greg G.

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 18, 2016, 09:20:23 PM
That one looks like it could have been one that was painted on. Probably on wood and maybe on brick buildings.

That one's a repro, they even say so, I only used it as an illustration.  I'm looking for an authentic Western Union sign that says to telephone your telegrams.  I've seen 4 different types.  It's to go with the metal 302 I have that has a Western Union dial card.  Besides that one, the other 3 I've seen are these:
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Repro or authentic?
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

I have a spare 1 of these that i would be willing to sell. PM if interested.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

I especially like the pattern on the back, it reminds me of my patio table
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409