News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need gaskets for handset, for Grabaphone.

Started by Dan/Panther, October 03, 2008, 09:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have a Grabaphgone handset, I need to make or purchase the transmitter diaphram gaskets, what is a good substitute material for them, or who sells them.
I had considered thin Latex rubber, or gasket material for automotive, will either work? I can't find any thin rubber sheeting.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Dan, have you talked with Gary Goff? If so, ask him. I'd bet he would know.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
Yes I have spoken to Gary Via Email. He will be out of thre area until 10-11, he saqid if I email him after that with a reminder, he can get me the gasket for my Monop[hone.
This gasket is for my Grabaphone handset.

BDM

Yes I know your asking for a different gasket. But, he would probably know where to get one if anyone would. If no one here does, ask him when he gets back.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I'm working on the transmitter end of a grabaphone, Replacing a .002 thousanths of an inch thick piece of mica, used for the center diaphram on the transmitter. why do I get the feeling, I'm in uncharted territory ?

D/P

Dan/Panther

Here is a picture of the cutaway view if the Grabaphone transmitter, the area in question is numbered #3.

D/P

BDM

Hmmmm....That's pretty thin. Maybe the boys in the radio forum may know. Since many have replaced mica sheets in IF cans.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I found out the original gaskets were made of waxed cardboard, later they went to rubber.
I'm going to make mine from heavy card stock, soaked in yellow bees wax.
Should be as close to original as possible.
D/P

Bill Cahill

Dan, that diaphram you used should be fine.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."