News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mexican Indetel Phone found at Mexican Flea Market

Started by allineedislove, March 14, 2011, 11:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allineedislove

Friends, I found this Sunday an Indetel Phone like the ones we used to have in Mexico in the 1980's. It does have the diagram but I can't get it to work.
Maybe this phone was intended to work only with the Indetel switchboard?. Any help will be appreciated.
I'm attaching a picture of the diagram. I hope someone could help me
Thanks

JorgeAmely

Can you take a closer picture of the schematic and perhaps an under the hood shot?
Jorge

Adam

Also, tell us more about how it doesn't work.  No dial tone?  Can't transmit?  Can't receive?  Can't dial out?  Doesn't ring?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

GG

Is there any labeling on or near the button that's above the red LED on the right above the dial? 

This set has some special functions beyond a regular single-line telephone.  Minus the lights & extra button it looks pretty much like a standard Indetel phone from the early 80s. 

Indetel was affiliated with ITT, and the dial design is from ITT's Italian subsidiary FACE Standard. 

Mexico also had a branch of Ericsson that produced among other things the 6-DLG (Dialog) phone in Mexico, that is effectively identical to the Swedish version. 

allineedislove

Quote from: masstel on March 15, 2011, 12:26:23 AM
Also, tell us more about how it doesn't work.  No dial tone?  Can't transmit?  Can't receive?  Can't dial out?  Doesn't ring?
I can't get dial tone.

allineedislove

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 14, 2011, 11:17:09 PM
Can you take a closer picture of the schematic and perhaps an under the hood shot?

I tried to detach the diagram, but it not possible without harm to it, I will post a pciture of the inside tomorrow

allineedislove

Quote from: GG on March 15, 2011, 07:25:22 AM

Is there any labeling on or near the button that's above the red LED on the right above the dial? 

This set has some special functions beyond a regular single-line telephone.  Minus the lights & extra button it looks pretty much like a standard Indetel phone from the early 80s. 

Indetel was affiliated with ITT, and the dial design is from ITT's Italian subsidiary FACE Standard. 

Mexico also had a branch of Ericsson that produced among other things the 6-DLG (Dialog) phone in Mexico, that is effectively identical to the Swedish version. 
Please tell me more abput the Ericssons in Mexico, my family used to have a phone back in '65 but I can't recall how it was. All I can recall was that I asked the operator to connect me to "X"family. Thanks

allineedislove

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 14, 2011, 11:17:09 PM

Jorge, here you have some pictures:

JorgeAmely

It looks like it has the essential elements: ringer, network, right number of wires for the dial, hook switch, etc. But to determine how it is wired, a closer shot of the schematic would be nice. Try placing your camera in macro mode.
Jorge

GG

I'm going to take some wild guesses based on the first copy of the schematic you posted, plus the appearance of the set. 

The basic components are standard Indetel including the FACE Standard type dial mechanism. 

The circuit board mounted above the ringer is not a normal component, along with the switch and lights in the housing. 

The schematic shows a dotted line around the upper housing that includes the dial and the switch & lights. 

There are six switch contacts shown, in the formation that typically refers to a DPDT switch.  In that case, one position of the switch bridges the two wires on the lower left side, and the other position bridges the two wires on the upper right side.  By definition that cannot be a 2-line switch. 

The additional circuit board shown in the photo seems to have two large rectangular resistors and a diode that I can see.  Those parts would be used for dropping a voltage down to the level that the LEDs could handle, and ensuring correct polarity to the LED.  If the rectangular things are capacitors, they are used for passing ringing voltage to the LED. 

One LED is controlled by the switch.  The other is apparently connected to the line cord. 

The ringer is apparently controlled by the switch: trace the wiring from it and you'll see it goes through the switch contacts on the left side of the switch, to the contacts on the network board where the ringer is normally directly connected.  One of the LEDs is on the other side of the switch, such that when the ringer is disconnected, the LED is connected. 

One thing that this suggests is:  press the button to disconnect the ringer and turn on a red light on the phone to remind you that the ringer is disconnected; and ringing current will cause the other light to flash on incoming calls.  The problem with this hypothesis is: why have the "ringer is disconnected" light powered by an external power supply via the additional conductors in the line cord?  That seems like an uneconomical way to do it: and for that matter why have a light for that function when the switch itself could have been chosen to visually show that it was in a different position, per the bell cutoff switches on GPO 746s (UK) which are very obviously up or down. 

So it looks like a bell cutoff with visual indicator, but that doesn't seem reasonable either because there are more economical ways to do that. 

It might be part of a "secretary & chief" system that marks the phone "do not disturb" to the secretary when the bell is turned off, as well as lighting an LED to remind the phone user that it's in Do Not Disturb" mode.   That seems like a more reasonable guess. 

If I had to guess, I'd say "secretary & chief" system. 

---

Re. Ericssons in Mexico: 

The one I have is identical to the Ericsson 6-DLG "Dialog" phone they made in Sweden and used all over the world.  Medium blue color.  The extended plate that on most modern phones has the numbers on it, is blank, per Ericsson's standard practice, and the digits are on a smaller disc in the center of the fingerwheel.  There is a ground button built into the dial mechanism right outside of the finger stop, also standard Ericsson practice.  The only way I know it's made in Mexico is that it says so on the bottom where it would otherwise say made in Sweden.  The ringer has a slightly different sound to it than the Swedish version, which sounds like a WE 500. 

There is another interesting Mexican phone I've seen in the background of some pictures, that is a wallphone, has some external similarities in layout to the WE 354 and 554 wall phones.  The handset cradle looks as if it was pressed from a piece of round-stock metal like extremely thick wire, rather than being a casting as WE used.  That's all I recall about that one. 

allineedislove

Quote from: GG on March 16, 2011, 09:03:52 AM

I'm going to take some wild guesses based on the first copy of the schematic you posted, plus the appearance of the set. 

The basic components are standard Indetel including the FACE Standard type dial mechanism. 

The circuit board mounted above the ringer is not a normal component, along with the switch and lights in the housing. 

The schematic shows a dotted line around the upper housing that includes the dial and the switch & lights. 

There are six switch contacts shown, in the formation that typically refers to a DPDT switch.  In that case, one position of the switch bridges the two wires on the lower left side, and the other position bridges the two wires on the upper right side.  By definition that cannot be a 2-line switch. 

The additional circuit board shown in the photo seems to have two large rectangular resistors and a diode that I can see.  Those parts would be used for dropping a voltage down to the level that the LEDs could handle, and ensuring correct polarity to the LED.  If the rectangular things are capacitors, they are used for passing ringing voltage to the LED. 

One LED is controlled by the switch.  The other is apparently connected to the line cord. 

The ringer is apparently controlled by the switch: trace the wiring from it and you'll see it goes through the switch contacts on the left side of the switch, to the contacts on the network board where the ringer is normally directly connected.  One of the LEDs is on the other side of the switch, such that when the ringer is disconnected, the LED is connected. 

One thing that this suggests is:  press the button to disconnect the ringer and turn on a red light on the phone to remind you that the ringer is disconnected; and ringing current will cause the other light to flash on incoming calls.  The problem with this hypothesis is: why have the "ringer is disconnected" light powered by an external power supply via the additional conductors in the line cord?  That seems like an uneconomical way to do it: and for that matter why have a light for that function when the switch itself could have been chosen to visually show that it was in a different position, per the bell cutoff switches on GPO 746s (UK) which are very obviously up or down. 

So it looks like a bell cutoff with visual indicator, but that doesn't seem reasonable either because there are more economical ways to do that. 

It might be part of a "secretary & chief" system that marks the phone "do not disturb" to the secretary when the bell is turned off, as well as lighting an LED to remind the phone user that it's in Do Not Disturb" mode.   That seems like a more reasonable guess. 

If I had to guess, I'd say "secretary & chief" system. 

---

Re. Ericssons in Mexico: 

The one I have is identical to the Ericsson 6-DLG "Dialog" phone they made in Sweden and used all over the world.  Medium blue color.  The extended plate that on most modern phones has the numbers on it, is blank, per Ericsson's standard practice, and the digits are on a smaller disc in the center of the fingerwheel.  There is a ground button built into the dial mechanism right outside of the finger stop, also standard Ericsson practice.  The only way I know it's made in Mexico is that it says so on the bottom where it would otherwise say made in Sweden.  The ringer has a slightly different sound to it than the Swedish version, which sounds like a WE 500. 

There is another interesting Mexican phone I've seen in the background of some pictures, that is a wallphone, has some external similarities in layout to the WE 354 and 554 wall phones.  The handset cradle looks as if it was pressed from a piece of round-stock metal like extremely thick wire, rather than being a casting as WE used.  That's all I recall about that one. 

Could you please post a picture of your Ericcson?. Thanks

dsk

I hope I'm right, still some guesses.
The line should be connected to the 2 wires indicated in the picture.
The switch is to turn on/off the ringer, and one led, the other led has a special function fed by an extra pair.

dsk

allineedislove

Quote from: d_s_k on March 19, 2011, 06:58:20 AM
I hope I'm right, still some guesses.
The line should be connected to the 2 wires indicated in the picture.
The switch is to turn on/off the ringer, and one led, the other led has a special function fed by an extra pair.

dsk
Amigo dsk, it didn't work, maybe there's something else wrong with this phone. Gracias

GG

Allineedislove:  I'm going to set up to post pictures one way or another, right now I haven't figured out how, and I'd rather not have to go get a Flickr account or some such in order to do it.   When I post it, I'll post it in this topic so it's easy to find. 

allineedislove

Quote from: GG on March 20, 2011, 09:02:02 AM

Allineedislove:  I'm going to set up to post pictures one way or another, right now I haven't figured out how, and I'd rather not have to go get a Flickr account or some such in order to do it.   When I post it, I'll post it in this topic so it's easy to find. 
Amigo, when you post a message, you can go to additional options, there, you can post a picture if you want to, all you have to do is to connect your camera to the computer.
Hope this helps. Saludos