News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

touchtone phone wont ring

Started by carl, April 12, 2011, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

I just got this phone and thought I figured out why it would not work,since I replaced
the connection,and when I did was feeling proud of myself when I heard that strong dialtone....
but I can't get it to ring.It has several push on connections which defy me every time I transplant
one,so here I am asking for help on how to get this guy to Ring.I've attached a pic of the
innards.Thank you,Carl NYC

Adam

Of the four wires from the ringer, the two wires SLATE and SLATE/RED should be connected to the terminals on the network marked A and K (for example, SLATE to A and SLATE/RED to K).

The two remaining wires from the ringer, RED and BLACK, go to the same place where the RED and GREEN wires are coming from the line jack.  Connect the RED from the ringer to the same place that the RED from the line jack is connected, and connect the BLACK from the ringer to the same place where the GREEN wire from the line jack is connected.

That should make the ringer work.

If your ringer only has two wires and not four, the connections are different.  Let us know if that's the case.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

carl

Hi..and thank you very much.I will check and advise.Carl

carl

Yes,after several attempts it does appear that there are only two ringer wires,so
if you could go over plan b,I'd certainly appreciate it.Thanks again..Carl

Adam

OK.  That wiring is similar, but a bit more complicated.

With a two-wire ringer, one wire of the ringer goes to one side of the line and one side of the ringer goes to the other side of the line, but in series with the ringer capacitor, which is wired to A and K on the network.

Connect the BLACK wire of the ringer to the where the GREEN wire from the line jack goes.

Now, observe that the RED wire from the line jack is connected to the YELLOW wire from the switch hook.  If you could follow that through the switch hook, you would see that its normally open contact connects that side of the line to the works of the phone (through its BROWN wire).

However, that switch hook contact also has a normally closed contact, in other words, a wire that is connected to the YELLOW wire when the phone is on the hook.  That is the SLATE wire.  Connect the SLATE wire from the switch to A.

Connect the RED wire of the ringer to K.

So, what we have now is the RED wire of the ringer connected through the capacitor at A and K, which is connected to the switch hook which connects it to the RED wire of the line jack when the phone is on the hook.

Recapping:
Ringer BLACK to line jack GREEN
Ringer RED to A
Switch hook YELLOW to line jack RED (should be already)
Switch hook SLATE to K

That should do it.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Additional info:  Those switch hook wire colors are for some WE phones.  I just opened an ITT phone I have from a period the same as yours.

Where I said YELLOW for the switch hook wire, look for SLATE/YELLOW (and BROWN is SLATE/BROWN).

(I correctly stated the other switch hook wire is solid SLATE.)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

carl

I'm working on it..whew! Thank you very much.I appreciate your help.Carl

carl

Success! Finally,the phone got tired of my pawing it and just gave in,ringing perfectly.Again,thank you for your help.Best,Carl..Queens,NY