News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can't Keep me out of a Northern Telecom Centurion Payphone.

Started by ....., January 06, 2018, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought a 1986 Centurion Payphone the other day. The top was open and had the lock removed. But the cash box lock as still there and there was no key for it. But that didn't stop me from getting into it. Been there and done that before. I got it open, no cash box or cash. :(  Now I will have my friend weld it back together and it will be good as new. I also got an extra lock with keys and twoT-Keys with it.

More pictures.

Dan F

instead of cutting into the side of the phone I would have sacrificed the vault door.

Quote from: Dan F on January 13, 2018, 09:23:46 PM
instead of cutting into the side of the phone I would have sacrificed the vault door.

Not quite as easy as it sounds. Much easier to go though the thinner metal on the side of the case then a very thick vault door.
Have you tried to cut a vault door on a single coin payphone?

I bought a Centurion for parts last year that someone had attempted to cut open with a grinder and they had no success.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17598.msg181804#msg181804

Dan F

Great, thanks.

Now there's two ways to get the vault door open. It's just a matter of choice of how one want's to do it. :)

PUBCOM

CDN Doug The Centurion was a classic. It had the shortcoming of fire. Most of the Centurions coming in for repair either had no cover (black or brown) or the cover was burned. NT chose orange as its base color, although its foot print is very similar to the WE 1C2, and  the Centurion will hang on a standard cast 178A backboard if I remember correctly. Unfortunate that you had to cut the side.

Key2871

Well the centurion having a separate cover helps to hide that huge hole that's left after cutting the lock out. It's the hassle of removing the cover to get the upper off, etc that turned me off of centurions .
Did you have the "surgical" cuts welded, to make it more like normal? Did you grind the seam down and paint it?
I think the next phone I get that doesn't have key's, I will sacrifice the vault door, as outlined in the diagram shown.
KEN

Quote from: PUBCOM on May 18, 2018, 06:04:40 PM
CDN Doug The Centurion was a classic. It had the shortcoming of fire. Most of the Centurions coming in for repair either had no cover (black or brown) or the cover was burned. NT chose orange as its base color, although its foot print is very similar to the WE 1C2, and  the Centurion will hang on a standard cast 178A backboard if I remember correctly. Unfortunate that you had to cut the side.

I have a few more and the cut one sold, as the buyer said the plastic cover hides it anyway. Want one, they are all for sale and I'm willing to ship.

Payphone installer

I go after these in colors,there are some rare ones. I believe have a white and a blue in the box. With the keys😎. Rotary in colors are rare. Rotary are rare period.

Quote from: Payphone installer on May 19, 2018, 08:25:54 AM
I go after these in colors,there are some rare ones. I believe have a white and a blue in the box. With the keys😎. Rotary in colors are rare. Rotary are rare period.

I have one Rotary Centurion and all my other Centurions are T/T.

Dan F