News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1957 Red 500

Started by bingster, October 01, 2009, 11:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

The word "THEY" in my original post refers to the people selling the phone, not W.E.
The actual term for the color most likely was Pauls referral to Cardinal Red.
I'll try to find the listing for the Cardinal red 500 It was about a month or so ago, maybe longer !
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

I guess the best example of what i'm referring to was posted in this thread by bingster himself.
The replacement Bezel was, "way too bright", is what Bingster said.
That is exactly the Red I refer to, where is the 500 that it went in ?
I want a 500 that color, not the burgundy color next to it.
D/P

Dan/Panther

From what I read somewhere, they made 500's in that color Red, in the 50's, I thought It said, but only for a year or so.
D/P

bwanna

do ya think it was maybe different dye lots? or an entirely different color all together?
donna

Dan/Panther

I have got to either finds the auction or the article where i read about the BRIGHT RED 57 500 or thereabouts, it may have been way earlier than 57, but I'm sure it was 50's, maybe 54.
D/P

bwanna

you do the research, d/p.. i'll just sit right here  ;)
donna

Dan/Panther

Hold your breath I'll be right back.
D/P

bwanna

donna

Dan/Panther

So far the only reference I canm find about Coac Cola Red phones, was by coincidence on none other than Dennis' website.

Alfredo Salgado responds:
Posted: March 12th, 2007 at 12:14 pm

I'm really happy with this purchase on eBAY!! It's a western electric model 500, cherry red (Dennis says Coca-Cola color),

I'll continue to research...
D/P

Dan

Quote from: bwanna on October 07, 2009, 07:52:14 PM
dentist dan, let's see some pics! i wanna see red ;)

Well, it isn't quite as red as my wisdom tooth socket I saw today, but here goes:

1956 Western electric Soft red

1977 ITT hard Plastic Bright red

[I like the ITT colour best, but the WE is soft.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

Nice phone, Dan, truely nice.  Better than an impacted wisdom tooth any day!

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Thanks Bill, I was wondering if this ITT colour   (I like the British spelling) was similar to the red Dan/panther was referring to?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

I had been known to use that Coca-Cola color reference in my earlier days of selling phones.  I think that the description gives the viewer an idea of the color more than Cherry Red.  Cherry Red to me is a brighter, more purple color red.  I think A.E. had a color that was more cherry colored.  I believe Finlover's latest 554 also refers to the color as being Coca-Cola red.

Dan/Panther

Yes Dennis I agree, Finlovers phone is very much Coca Cola RED. Didn't W.E. make a 500 in the 50's that color, for about 1 or 2 years. I know I read somewhere about one. It also seems I saw one on Ebay about 3 maybe 4 months ago.
The maroon or Burgundy ones we are all familar with are just not RED enough, and the later models just won't cut it.
D/P

McHeath

Cortelco's late model red 500s and 2500s are a real bright shade of red.  Not sure if that's the old bright red from Kellogg days, or if it's a newer formulation.  I do like it, it really stands out.