News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Click This! - Dial Click - Need Ideas to Eliminate

Started by Dennis Markham, May 18, 2010, 06:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Final update on this project.  It is finished!  I ended up piggy-backing the 195A capacitor on top of the original 2MF capacitor using zip ties.  I started by getting longer screws for the bracket that lays across the original capacitor.  However the bracket end got in the way of lowering/closing the cover so I had to go to plan B.

Here is the finished product.  It looks like a rats nest of wires and I guess it is.  There are extra wires from the capacitor.  On the cords I had to strip back the wires and attach new spade tips.  I made the leads a little longer than I should have.  But I think it will be fine.  I have it plugged in at my desk now for the test drive.  It's working great now.  I put a real dial card on it instead of the reproduction card.  Originally I was going to just use a modular mounting cord from the box to the wall but found a brown cloth covered cord in my box of stuff.  I had to modify the ends so that I could stuff them inside the little plug.  Life is good.

A Picasa Web Album of the restoration can be seen here:

https://tinyurl.com/y7fz8gle

Click on the 1st image to read the accompanying text.  Then just toggle through the rest of the photos............

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Very nice set.
I have the same phone, but need the subset.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

That is oh so nice.  Excellent job.  You have a lot to be proud of.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Dennis....OUTSTANDING JOB!!! Its really nice to see there are some people out there who still care. Plus, when you only make $1 an hour for your refurbs, people will line up for your work. I thought Steve Hilsz was inexpensive, you my friend are a way better deal. All kidding aside, you should be very proud of your work on this....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Thank you for the compliments.  It was a fun project....but one that I'm happy is complete.  If it were mine I'd repaint the dial card retainer ring, or replace it.  But the owner wants it original so that's the way ti will stay.

HarrySmith

Very Very Nice! You did a great job on this! I agree the dial card retainer should be painted or replaced.

Harry
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Dennis....Brass retainer ring. Remove the paint and shine the metal. This will shine as well as the ringer box. It would be a great contrast with the copper ringer. Or touch it up with a sharpie. Just my opinion...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Good idea Doug.  I have a couple in rough shape.  Just for fun I'll give it a shot.  I can't let go of this project! :)

Dennis Markham

I fixed up a ring in original brass.  I have sent off three photos to the owner.  One of the original ring, a replacement black ring with good paint and the brass one for him to choose.

Above (or below, whichever you prefer) in my post #30 of this thread I have added a sound file of the ringer.

Finally, NO! I am not going to paint the finger wheel!! :)

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
If there were more brass I would prefer the brass ring, but that said, I think the original looks best. JMHO.
D/P

Doug Rose

Dennis.... I love the brass. Remember the original #2 dials came with a nickel retainer ring....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Dennis....what did the owner decide? I vote brass, it gets your attention....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

After reconsidering, I vote for the brass dial ring.
D/P

Dennis Markham

The Tribe has spoken.....he wanted a replacement black ring.  It has been done.  The brass one will have to wait for another phone.