News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Opinions on Restoring a Northern 233G?

Started by savageje, November 25, 2011, 12:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

savageje

I picked up my first pay phone (a Northern 233G) back in October and am debating how to restore it.  It is outwardly in good condition, but is missing a lot of the original internal parts.  For example, the terminal block has been replaced with some type of coil that looks a lot like a 101A, but isn't marked and has an extra terminal.  The coin relay and hopper cover have been removed, and the coin validator and hopper have been rigged to allow coins to pass directly to the vault.  The rail that actuates the tab on the coin can lid is also missing.

Originally I thought it would be neat to install one of those electronic coin controllers that sort of mimics how the phone originally worked, but I now realize that it will probably cost a small fortune to replace all of the missing parts, buy (or build) a coin controller, and install it in the phone.

Another option would be to leave it as-is, wire it to make and receive calls, and maybe install a small single-gong ringer where the coin relay once sat.

A third option would be to do nothing to the phone and simply use it as a display piece.

I realize it all comes down to my preference, but am curious what others think is the best direction to go.

Phonesrfun

Mine was missing the coin relay too when I got it.  They are available; I bought one that was brand new, but I don't remember where, and I am out of town for thanksgiving and can 't check.

It didn't cost all that much, so I bought the relay and rewired the phone, and built one of the electronic timers that allows for the collecting and returning of the coins.

The induction coil was probably placed there to keep from having to have the 685 subset.  To make the phone original, you will need the subset, which are easy to find.  If not, if the induction coil is a 101A, and there is an appropriate capacitor for the speech circuit, you could leave it in place.  It would function as the 19X series of payphones, which is just fine.  Either way, and external ringer is needed unless you use the coin relay space for the ringer.

As far as the coin can is concerned, that was the last item on my priority list. I just used a tuna fish can.  The coins still drop into the can with the dramatic sound of coins dropping, and it is behind a locked door, so nobody knows the difference.

What I found to be disapointing is that once I got it all working, it seemed that I was the only one who was impressed with it.  Others would just smile and say "oh cool", and that was about the extent of it.

Any way, I would probably still do it all over again.  I think they are cool.  So, my vote would be get it working.  If you are good with soldering and electronics, the circuit is not too difficult to build, and there are several different circutits out there.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill, I've been reading through these posts about the 233G.  Any chance of you posting a few photos of your phone?

Jim, what did you end up doing with your 233G?

DavePEI

Quote from: savageje on November 25, 2011, 12:17:22 AM
I picked up my first pay phone (a Northern 233G) back in October and am debating how to restore it.  It is outwardly in good condition, but is missing a lot of the original internal parts.  For example, the terminal block has been replaced with some type of coil that looks a lot like a 101A, but isn't marked and has an extra terminal.  The coin relay and hopper cover have been removed, and the coin validator and hopper have been rigged to allow coins to pass directly to the vault.  The rail that actuates the tab on the coin can lid is also missing.

Originally I thought it would be neat to install one of those electronic coin controllers that sort of mimics how the phone originally worked, but I now realize that it will probably cost a small fortune to replace all of the missing parts, buy (or build) a coin controller, and install it in the phone.

A third option would be to do nothing to the phone and simply use it as a display piece.

My 233 was highly modified when I got it with an ITT network and dial incorporated, and other than a few things, I opted to leave is as it was. Fortunately, the rest of my payphones were original, and I converted the rest of them conservatively.

I realize it all comes down to my preference, but am curious what others think is the best direction to go.

From the description you have given, a lot of destructive modifications have been made to it. You would likely be better off to leave it as is, and simply make it operable. To replace the hopper and other missing parts could be expensive. It is doubtful that the validator has been modified - normally, it is just a matter of tying the chute so that it sends coins to either the box or the coin return.

The coil is there to replace the external subset normally used with these phones. If there, and wired properly, it is quite possible that the phone will work, but of course without the relay, it cannot operate from a payphone controller.

Normally I suggest a non-destructive conversion, such as the removal of one wire on the relay and tying the coin vane to the coin return side with a wire tie. The addition of a subset (685A) will give you both the network and bell functions. But, to do that, you will need to restore it to its original wiring. Somewhere here, I have the full schematic of the phone ties to a subset.

See both my 233 pages:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/ne233.html
and:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/qsd3a.html

For information on connecting a network to the phone. The information I have on the QSD-3A will on connecting networks will also apply to this phone.

Another option would be to leave it as-is, wire it to make and receive calls, and maybe install a small single-gong ringer where the coin relay once sat.

Whether you restore it to original or not is your decision entirely, only whatever you do, try to it modifying the phone as much as possible...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

johnnyjt