News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Roger Conklin Phone

Started by wds, February 20, 2015, 05:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I bid on several of the phones that were for sale from the Roger Conklin collection, but only won one.  Really nice Northern Electric No.1, with the old style handset, and even better, with the old Northern Electric version of the Mercedes dial.  These dials don't come up very often, so I'm pretty happy with this phone.   It's dated 1946 so I'm surprised to see this older dial on it. 
Dave

HarrySmith

Nice one. I also bid on a few. I won the Chrome Payphone but have not received it yet. Keith is going to drop it off at my job on his way to the show next month so I don't have to pay shipping.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

I guess if I haven't heard anything back, then I didn't win anything (though I only bid on 1 item).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

wds

I received an email that said I won 4 phones, then later I received notice that I only won one.  Someone must have upped their bids after the auction was over I'm guessing.  Anyway since I only got the one, I'm glad it was this one. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave...it is a beauty....love the dial....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Here's a picture after I cleaned it a little. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....if I can be so bold, how much was this great phone....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Dave

Doug Rose

Dial is worth all of that....nice hit....Doug
Kidphone

wds

yeah, these dials are selling north of $200.  The handset is just a bonus. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave...good eyes....I missed it going through all those phones. It is a dial I have not been lucky enough to find yet. Is it a working dial?....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Yes it is.  The phone works like it should, and the dial sounds just like a AE mercedes dial.  The ratchet mechanism is just like the mercedes, and you could replace the center card with the mercedes 3 spoke card holder.  Odd to see a dial that old on this phone. 
Dave

Ktownphoneco

Dave   ....   It's a kind of sad coincidence for sure.     I'm sure most who knew Roger, are aware that he worked for Northern Electric for a number of years.      I exchanged several emails with Roger regarding that set you have, and in one of my last exchanges with him, I was going to ask him to open the set up and look at the back of the dial and tell me what series it was, and take a picture of the inside of the set.      But he wasn't feeling all that great at the time so I just didn't ask.

I'm glad the set went to a good home.     

Jeff Lamb

wds

Yes, he had a couple more phones I wanted, but I didn't bid aggressively enough I guess.  Are these pictures good enough or do you want more
Dave