News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd "Bell" branded GTE spekerphone?

Started by markosjal, July 08, 2019, 10:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I came across this on ebay. Looks like a Speakerphone. Note the Bell logo on front but "GTE Automatic Electric" on back.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Stormcrash

Yeah, I've been eyeing that same listing. It seems odd given WE made the Telehelper speakerphone that they would buy one from GTE, and the phrasing on the "Property of Bell System" vs the usual "Bell System Property" seems odd. That said it doesn't seem like it was tampered with or modified in the pictures

paul-f

Here's part of the story...
The phone pictured is a variation of the GTE 883A speakerphone. A photo of an early version is in this topic (and below):

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8462.msg93197#msg93197

GTE Practice 473-216-100, issue 3, 4/81 was reissued in part to show the 883A "modified for application in the Bell System and referred to as an ACTIONPHONE®."

The main differences seem to be the addition of the RECALL button and some standardized options regarding wiring and desk/wall mounting. This fits nicely with the date of the phone (11/81).

Now we need to find some documentation from within the Bell System.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Stormcrash

Thanks for the Paul! Interesting to see cross sourcing like this. So it sounds like it was to offer a speakerphone option with a recall switch and dial integrated into one box then which no WE model had

Has anyone placed a bid? I’m thinking about it but don’t want to bid it up if someone else here has already bid

Stormcrash

Seems the same seller has another one for sale, this time without Bell branding but with a strange wall adapter on the cable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Collector-GTE-Automatic-Electric/264393176903?hash=item3d8f0fb747:g:l-cAAOSwmFtdJRus