"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Ivory 53 Handset without Handset Cord Hole

Started by HonestAbe, September 04, 2016, 01:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HonestAbe

Hello everyone,

Please be kind to me as this is my first time posting  :D At any rate, I purchased a modular Western Electric 554 wall phone a while back and expected it to come with a functioning handset. However, I received a "hardwired" soft plastic ivory handset without any handset cord hole.  I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why Western Electric would make a handset like this.

Abe
"When I started out, all I did was play my trombone."
-Ray Conniff

Kenton K

Never seen one of those before... Also two transmitter units?.....

And Welcome!

-Ken

Maybe it was one of the first wireless receivers......  lol

TelePlay

I did a quick search of eBay and did not find the sale. Did you buy it off of eBay, or similar online seller, and if so, do you have the link to that posting? Would be interested in seeing how the seller did that.

Thanks.

====

And on the funny side, in reply to Kenton K's "wireless" comment above, it may just be what Dan/Panther said about a recent, similar phone issue:  "That's the Mother-in-Law model. Doesn't need an ear piece, because she never stops talking."

Greg G.

Quote from: Kenton K on September 04, 2016, 02:06:56 AM
Never seen one of those before... Also two transmitter units?.....

And Welcome!

-Ken

For people who talk out of both sides of their mouths.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HonestAbe

I found the link, but it has since expired.

http://m-cafr.g.ebay.ca/itm/222106891206

Anyways, here is a link to the pictures of the old listing is on Worthpoint.com.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-rotary-phone-western-electric-1814119655

And finally, here is a screenshot of the original listing for posterity.
-Ray Conniff

TelePlay

Thanks for that additional information.

From paul-f's site, it might be a 555 (two line front selector) and also an exclusion plunger on top. Others can better identify this phone. This may be something more than a run of the mill 554, don't know.

Can you take and post pictures of the inside, the dial and hook switch and also the ringer and network base? The external ringer connections inside would be interesting to see.

From the 3 pictures on Worthpoint, it may be that others would have missed that handset "defect" as well. Easy to see from the bottom up image that there is not port for a handset cord but the seller could have easily and inadvertently inverted the handset for the photo. The only phone that shows the top of the handset when on the hook is harder to see, not a good angle.

It sold May 2016 and for an eBay listing to disappear that quickly in also interesting. Photos go first but the listing stays for usually a lot longer than that before they reuse the number.

Seller did mention in the description that the handset was missing parts, but did not say anything about the missing handset cord or transmitter element and mounting cup. Strange handset indeed. If you look from the inside, can you tell if there was a port that was filled very well so that it would not be noticed from the outside?

The seller description, for prosperity, said:  "This auction is for a vintage rotary telephone. It is a wall mount Western Electric 515BM. It has a date code of 6-70 and a sticker date code of 10-75. The body of the phone is light beige and the dial and handset are both a darker beige. There is no doubt they are two different shades of color. The handset is also marked Western Electric 53. The handset is missing some internal parts. The main body of the phone has a dial on the front and a button on the top that is clear. There is also an external ringer attached at least that is what I think it is. Maybe a model number I 75. The phone has some cosmetic wear, scratches, marks etc. I do not have any cords. Please check photos. A lot going on with this one. Thank you for looking."

unbeldi

I suspect the handset is not actually marked "53"  but G3 ?

Certainly interesting.
I would guess that the handset is only there to operate the hookswitch reliably or not at all. The unit has a modular handset jack.
The second ringer is probably hooked up to be able to hear the second line ring.

The 558 wall phone could be wired for use with a speaker phone. Perhaps this is such a variety?  What is stamped on the rear?  Can you show pics of the inside?

Quote from: unbeldi on September 04, 2016, 06:08:07 PM
I suspect the handset is not actually marked "53"  but G3 ?

Nope, it says 53.

unbeldi

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on September 04, 2016, 06:20:52 PM

Notice that it is not marked "Bell System" either. 
G-type handsets were not marked "Bell System" before about 1968, when they were marked "Bell System Property Not For Sale."
Only the housings were marked "Bell System" on early 500-series sets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HonestAbe

Hi everyone,

Thank you for commenting and viewing on this topic so far. Currently I am out of town until tonight, but I will post photos of the inside, components, handset and back of the phone when I return. I originally wanted to know why Western Electric would make a handset without a hole for the handset cord, but I am beginning to realize that it may have something to do with the function of the phone.

In regards to the handset, I was thinking when I saw 53 instead of G3 that it may have something to do with the color code. However, according to paul -f's site that is wrong as -53 is Cherry Red. 

Abe
-Ray Conniff

poplar1

I doubt that this handset was issued with the phone when it was refurbished as a 1/2 modular phone (BM) in 1975. The handset and phone were probably "married" by the seller or by a former owner. Perhaps the handset handle was owned by a former Bell Labs employee.

The transmitter dated 11 53 has solder on the back, which probably means that it was at one time installed behind an early transmitter face (323, 337, etc.) in order to improve transmission when a candlestick phone or wall magneto phone was modified. This could have been done by a repair shop or by an individual. 

It would be interesting to see what else this seller had for sale.

Illinois Bell (see Area Code 312 number card) had a 2-line package for residences that cost much less than two individually billed lines. Perhaps that is one reason many of the 2-line phones for sale on Ebay are from Illinois. (These may have been message rate lines, where each completed call over a certain number was billed.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

There were sample f and g handsets that were made without the cord hole,  I have heard of them in color and also clear. Apparently they were testing other aspects of the handsets and didn't need the cord hole.

A long time ago Ron Knappen had some color samples.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Here me with my head in the clouds, but...

Could it be a pre-production handset for phone displays featuring either new or upcoming color telephone sets? It would make sense to have '53' stamped there instead of 'G3', as that designation would not have been coined yet. The reason the handset doesn't have a cord exit hole is simple...it didn't need one, it's display-only!

It's definitely not original to the rest of the phone, because neither cap has center holes. It has to be soft plastic, or at least pre-1960.

If that's true, I'd like to see an empty display-only color 500 base and housing without an exit cord hole!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford