News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

They Needed Help

Started by Fabius, April 14, 2016, 11:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Back in 1927 they had a real problem with the people in Concord NC not knowing who to call if their house was on fire. Luckily the telephone company helped solve the problem. 
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

I suspect that the intention of the advice on the top of the directory was not so much to advise subscribers on whom to contact in case of a fire but rather that they should contact the fire department by telephone rather than running out into the street and shouting or whistling.

Larry

Fabius

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 15, 2016, 06:31:51 AM
I suspect that the intention of the advice on the top of the directory was not so much to advise subscribers on whom to contact in case of a fire but rather that they should contact the fire department by telephone rather than running out into the street and shouting or whistling.

Larry

Makes sense. In 1927 the telephone may have been new to the community.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Clearly the fire department didn't have enough money, wisdom, or support, to have their number listed right there, like Bob's Cleaner does !

They sure needed help.

jsowers

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 15, 2016, 06:31:51 AM

Larry

About 30 years ago when I started working in the school system, I was in a small town in our county in NC that had an elementary school next door to a middle/high school, with a small driveway between them. I was in the driveway when a police car went screaming by with its siren on and then I saw the secretaries of each school walk outside, stand in front of their school and yell back and forth to each other, speculating on what was wrong. Evidently a siren in town was that unusual. The town was a lot like Mayberry then, with the one patrol car.

I also remember when the phone book came with empty blanks inside the front page for you to write the phone numbers for fire, police, hospital and doctor. Long before 911. That was always my job, to write in those numbers. I still remember the numbers for the local fire station and ambulance, though we have had 911 for about 20 years now.

Jonathan