and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting NE Strowger Device!

Started by DavePEI, October 22, 2015, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 14, 2016, 12:13:13 PM
Thanks for the demo Dave! Very nice.

Is the chug chug chug chug noise in the background an interrupter for the chime output that operates as long as the system is being accessed?

Terry
Terry:

I think what you are referring to is the sound of the rotary selector as it steps around... Have a good look at the video, and watch the movement of the rotary selector....
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Okay, yes I think that is it. Is it a 25 outlet rotary switch? It does a complete revolution for each of the possible code call codes which are 1 to 99 with 1 to 9 being singles. in the "99" example the rotary outputs to the relay and chime 9 times, steps to position 10 where it doesn't chime, does 9 more steps with chime and then steps 6 times back to the beginning.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 16, 2016, 11:52:40 AM
Okay, yes I think that is it. Is it a 25 outlet rotary switch? It does a complete revolution for each of the possible code call codes which are 1 to 99 with 1 to 9 being singles. in the "99" example the rotary outputs to the relay and chime 9 times, steps to position 10 where it doesn't chime, does 9 more steps with chime and then steps 6 times back to the beginning.

Terry

Yep!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

This was a fun project. When I began, I knew very little about Code Call units other than having memories of them in use in the 50s to the early 70s. Then they were gone. This was very much a group effort.

I knew I had to power the unit with 48 VDC, and that I needed a gong and matching supply for that. I had a spare switching power supply for the 48 volts, and finally after a two month search, found the gong, and ordered a matching supply for that. Keith Hlavacs was the only collector with a similar unit, but his was missing parts, and thus couldn't be made operational.

However, he had located a poor copy of a TIFF drawing for the unit and shared a copy with me. I was able to clean it up enough to make it usable during the winter months.

I was very nervous about getting it to work, but was determined not to let Glen Cavers down - he was really hoping he would see it running again. Glen gave me the unit, and Robert Guth ferried it down from Toronto at the beginning of January.

The longest wait was waiting for the weather to warm up. A number of things had to be done to prepare for the work on it. First of all, I had to create room for it.

To do this, I needed to move a couple of payphones which were previously on the wall it was to mount on. First, I had to get the BN booth I had found a couple of years ago mounted, and was assisted by Robert Guth, who came down, and poured the slab for it. Then after the booth was in place, I moved a 1D2 into the booth from that wall, and then moved the AE phone sharing the same wall to the adjoining wall. I could then add a larger plywood backboard to the wall to support the unit.

Then another wait for my son, Jeff Hunter to come down from Ontario on vacation, and I had him help me mount the heavy and fragile unit. While I waited, I mounted the two power supplies inside the cabinet. Once mounted, it was time to get working on it in earnest - figuring out its wiring, getting the gong mounted, and wired, and finally connecting a 500 set to it to dial the switch. After a last minute adjustment of the Helical rotation spring to give the wiper enough oomph to return fully when released, it was working 100%.

I was so glad when I got the video done, as finally Glen could see it functioning again after 40 years! Glen hopes to make it down in person later this summer to see it operating in person. I want to thank anyone who helped in any way with this project! It has already been viewed and enjoyed by several museum viewers.

Once this was done, it gave me the room I needed to move the British Strowger Demo out into the Museum, once again with the assistance of my son, Jeff Hunter, which in turn, cleaned up my workshop space. It was a series of landmarks to get to the end - one job tied into the next, but I am so pleased, as finally, I have completed all those backed up jobs I had been wanting to get done for so very long. Thank you all!
C*NET 1-651-0001