News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 251 (was What dial plate is this?)

Started by Sargeguy, February 15, 2009, 11:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

"Long Distance" ???

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=641.0;attach=3154;image  (dead link, no image)

It looks like its from an independent TELCO based on the F1W dial

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

I don't recall seeing one of those with the words Long Distance on them.  That plate is referred to as a "Rural" plate.  They were in fact in rural areas where exchange names were not used, thus no need for letters---just numbers.

Sargeguy

Me neither, I have several of the 150a's but they all say "operator"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

That is an old dial card too...only 4 numbers.  Did you look to see if there was another behind it???

Sargeguy

I will when it arrives.  I know those rural exchanges had low numbers.  Since its from an independent, maybe it was a special order?  They apparently had regular operator assisted long distance as opposed to dialing 211 for the long-distance operator as in the Bell System.  Of course long distance may have been the next town over.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

Rural phone number card. Many only used/needed four numbers with the small amount of customers. Plus, many were on party lines. I have several of those cards stashed around somewhere. That "long distance" under & around the 0 is interesting.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

Here is a list of dial plates and corresponding #s.  If anyone can add to it or sees any mistakes LMK:

132a-#2 dial numeric
132b-#2 dial alphanumeric
132e-#2 party line

147a-Pay Phone

149a-#4 dial numeric plastic covered
149b-#4 dial alphanumeric plastic covered
149e-#4 party line celluloid

150a-#5 dial numeric
150b-#5 dial alphanumeric
150d-#5 dial numeric "long distance"
150e-#5 party line

164a-#6 alphanumeric "Z" discontinued
164b-#6 ?
164c-#6 black (5302)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The mystery has been solved.  The dial plate is a 150D dated II....46.  It is apparently a WECO dial plate issued to independent TELCOs that did not have a long distance operator.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

Very interesting. May be worth making a copy of this.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

The plot thickens-here is the ringer:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

I'd bet that's a frequency ringer to boot.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

This is a 302, right? I've never seen a ringer even close to that in a 302.

Sargeguy

Actually it is a 251

From paul-f.com

No ringer or Bell System markings. F1AW handset, D3AL-9 mounting cord.  Has a special mount for a harmonic ringer. Typically sold to independents, who would add a straight line or party line ringer as required.

Catalog 11: " The No. 251 type Telephone Sets are intended for use in common battery manual or dial service on selective party lines using a harmonic ringer. Each set consists of a hand set, a desk type telephone set mounting, the necessary cords and wiring.

The telephone set mounting coded AB1-3 is similar to the No. H1-3 Telephone Set Mounting except that it is furnished without a ringer and is provided with a special ringer mounting for a harmonic ringer."

251AW: 82A-3 apparatus blank.  251BW: 5HA-3 dial and 59A dial adapter.

Any idea if that is a WECO ringer?  It seems to fit perfectly.  The tone is really nice.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone is functional but does not ring.  Is there any way to get this to ring on a straight line?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

Sargeguy;
Here is your dialface cleaned up some.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson