News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help!

Started by carly28, February 18, 2012, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: carly28 on February 19, 2012, 09:50:17 AMThanks twocvbloke (guessing thats not your real name lol  ;D), you've been a big help! :)

Not a problem, and you're right, it's not my real name!!  :D

Just be careful though, once you get one vintage phone, you'll want to get another, and another, and so-on...  :D

carly28

Just be careful though, once you get one vintage phone, you'll want to get another, and another, and so-on...  :D
[/quote]

I've already looked at some more  :D lol

So I am now equiped with the necessary ingredients, just need sunlight now. Except O have another problem, how do I get the bloody thing apart!

I just had a play with it and managed to get the base off and that was pretty much it. I couldnt figure out how to get the cord out of the handset without what seemed like cutting the lead, and I cant figure out how to get the dial case out without breaking it. I dont want to force it and worry it'll break.

This poor phone, I feel it is doomed by my ownership!

Tom B

Hi Carly
Your phone looks to be hardwired - to disconnect the handset lead unscrew the mouthpiece and earpiece caps, diconnect the lead that you can see (make a note of what wire goes where before you unscrew them). The handset cord should easily detach with a light pull away from the handset. You should be able to take the dial away from the base by undoing 2 screws attaching the dial to the body.
To take the fingerwheel off you need a paper clip. Then partially straighten the clip, and turn the wheel as if you were dialling 0 and hold there - don't let the wheel rotate back. If you are holding the wheel with your index finger on top of the chrome fingerstop you will see a tiny hole just above your finger. Take hold of the wheel with your other hand so it can't roll back and take your finger out of the hole. Pick up the paper clip and insert the straightened end into the hole and lightly push forward - at the same time turn the wheel slightly clockwise and it should come off.

Tom

twocvbloke

Quote from: carly28 on February 19, 2012, 10:35:33 AMThis poor phone, I feel it is doomed by my ownership!

Nah, it'll survive, just keep asking the questions, even if you think they're silly or not worth asking, and people will be here to answer them to help you along the way... :)

carly28

Thanks for the link Tom, I'll give that a try.

Going to have another play around after I've had dinner. Dont want to burn it while I am busy playing with the phone  :D

You'll get sick of all my questions eventually, just you see lol.

twocvbloke

Quote from: carly28 on February 19, 2012, 11:35:35 AMYou'll get sick of all my questions eventually, just you see lol.

The only bad question is the one which was never asked...  :D

After all, it's the act of questioning which helps us learn... :)

You could always get someone to look after the dinner for you, cos you're on the phone, or at least, working on the phone... ;D

carly28

No no no, no ones allowed in my kitchen lol.

Anyway, I've had a play, and managed to get the handset off, the body, the plastic dial front but the bit I am really truly struggling with is getting the bit with the numbers out. Its stuck in like a black ring on the side where the dial mechanism is, if that makes any sense? Or do I need to take another pic as I am really not explaining myself well  ???

twocvbloke

On the back of the dial part, just behind the ring with the numbers on, you'll see a bracket on which the dial sits, at the top of the bracket should be two screws on either side, loosen those off (shouldn't need to remove them) and the dial assembly should come free, at this point, take a photo of where all the wires are going so you have a reference to look at when reassembling... :)

Try not to take the dial assembly apart too far incase you end up releasing the spring, which is a right pain in the bum to re-tension!!! :D

Hope that helps... :)

Tom B

Carly
Can you post a picture of the face of the dial with the clear fingerwheel removed?
As twocv has said, you don't want to be releasing the tension spring before you are ready to do so.
Tom

carly28

Ok, will get a picture now, hang on a minute while I get the camera. I am a bit worried though as there was a bit I did unscrew on the back that went inside another part. Will take a picture as I am so confused!

carly28

Ok obviously this is the front, then the second pic is obviously the back. The next picture with the piece I am holding, goes inside the clear plastic part on the back of the wheel. Was I not supposed to remove this? :'(
Last pic is a bit of a close up of the inside. There are no other screws to undo.

twocvbloke

Ah, looks like you've removed the dial contacts, don't worry about that as they go back pretty easily, all you have to do is make sure they can open & close properly when you do, it's really not that hard... :)

I'll have to admit that I'm not sure about dismantling that particular dial, as it's different to my two Western Electric phones, I'll have to duck out of this one and let someone else with more knowledge of ITT type dials explain how... ???

carly28

Do the numbers on the underside of the dial mechanism mean anything? Could that bit be more modern then the rest of the phone, or do they not really mean anything?

twocvbloke

Quote from: carly28 on February 19, 2012, 02:23:47 PM
Do the numbers on the underside of the dial mechanism mean anything? Could that bit be more modern then the rest of the phone, or do they not really mean anything?

The numbers, specifically the "2-80" are the dates, meaning February 1980, if you see the same numbers stamped elsewhere, it's all original, but back in the day, the Bell phone co's would often swap out defective parts with newer parts, so you often get phones with mixed dates, my black one (in my avatar to the left there) was originally made in the mid 50's, but has a 1960's dial and a 1975 case and handset... :)

the other numbers, the "30 G" I believe is the dial model, and the "07" is the colour code for the dial face... :)

carly28

On the base it also says 02 -80 along with someother numbers. At the top of the base is a random 75. So the person who sold it obviously thought that was the date it was made. Disappointed now as I thought it was older  :-[