News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best way to remove paint spots from soft plastic?

Started by BDM, June 07, 2014, 03:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Remember, soft NOT hard plastic. This is a pink W.E. 500. Thoughts?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

jsowers

I use polishing compound and they come right off. Then a damp towel to remove the polishing compound. Then I go over it with Novus 2 and polish with a dry towel. I do the entire housing, dial face and handset. Compound removes a lot of stuff from soft plastic--paint spots, dirt, old labels, goo, etc. On the cords only, I use denatured alcohol to get paint and grime off. Never use alcohol on soft plastic.

If you have any of the old DuPont Rubbing Compound or White Polishing Compound, it works great. Later stuff by other manufacturers is a little light on the solvent (or whatever the DuPont stuff has in it) that helps the paint spots come off the plastic, so I've found the older stuff works best. I found the last compound I bought in an auto parts store that also sells car painting supplies. It was a huge can. I attached a pic of it.
Jonathan

BDM

Jonathan thanks for that tip. I will give this a shot. I tried warm water tonight letting it soak (not hot), and no go. Tough paint specs. Normally I can remove them with a good polish or my finger nail for that matter. No luck :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Matilo Telephones

I use my fingernail too. But I also use a sharpened toothpick. I shape the point into a kind of knife, chisel.

And I use a chopstick with a shaped point in the same manner. I use one made of bamboo. It is harder than the wood used to make a toothpick.

And a lot of patience and pick pick pick away at the spots. One by one.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones