News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Canada Service Boat

Started by b3tamax11, July 03, 2016, 11:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3tamax11

I was in Port Carling, Ontario today and I saw this Bell Canada Service Boat docked in the port. I assume it is used to access the many camps in the Muskoka area, never seen one like it before though.

NorthernElectric

There are lots of cottages on islands or on the mainland that are only accessible by water.  Presumably some have telephone service.  I wonder if that boat is also used to service ExpressVu (satellite TV) installations or if those are usually done by private contractors.  Port Carling is a good spot for home port for that boat.  It is nicknamed 'the Hub of the Lakes' and from there it can get into all of the big 3 lakes (Muskoka, Rosseau, and Joseph).

Muskoka has a long tradition of water travel dating back to a bit before the cottages and the tourist industry, and before there were many roads in the area.  The big 3 lakes were served by a number of steamboats, and still are.  The picture below is one that I took a few years ago of the Wenonah II at the locks in Port Carling, a replica named after an earlier vessel, the Wenonah.  This is a sister ship to the RMS Segwun, a restored original from the 19th century.  It's really cool to hear these blow their whistles.  One of these days, I mean to take a cruise on the Segwun. 
Cliff