News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Fine State Of Affairs

Started by 19and41, June 22, 2023, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer Limited with very low mileage and 2 weeks ago it had a check engine light.  I checked it with my analyzer and it indicated a fault in the drivers side upstream O2 sensor.  I replaced it that weekend and after driving it, the check engine light came back up.  This time it indicated both upstream sensors were failing.  I reset the CEL to make sure it wasn't a false indication.  It came back up and this time it was both upstream failed and the 2 downstream were failing.  I took time off to take it to the dealer and after analyzing it for nearly 2 days, they said they had good and bad news.  The good:  they had finished the analysis.  The bad:  the powertrain control module had failed. (The on board computer) They had even more news:  Ford had obsoleted the item last year and there are no more.  The engine and transmission are useless without it.  It still functioned enough to get me home from the dealer.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RDPipes

I am so sorry to hear that, doesn't seem quite fair but, this stuff happens whether we like it or not sometimes.
If it's not too costly I think I might take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion or maybe even try to contact Ford.
These new vehicles have got me lost, I use to do all the mechanic work on mine but, since they started with these
computers and sensor garbage I'm no longer knowledgeable enough to even change the plugs, LOL!
I have a 2006 Ford Ranger and thankfully I've not had any problems with it really except having a heater value changed out a couple of years ago. Best of luck sir.

HarrySmith

You can still get one. There are places that sell all kinds of automotive computers, NOS, rebuilt or used. I do not recall any names but I remember looking for one a while back and finding these places. Good Luck
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"