News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Last Dreyfuss Phone Design?

Started by George Knighton, November 28, 2012, 11:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

I seem to be mixed up about something, but I swear I think I'm remembering seeing this somewhere.

Other than the Trimline, wasn't there a Dreyfuss design after the Princess designs?

I thought I saw that somewhere, but searching here and online, I don't see it.

???
Annoying new poster.

Western Electric

BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY
         NOT FOR SALE
       Western Electric

George Knighton

I seem to recall that it was something that was sort of an enhanced Princess.  Like the dial was at 45 degrees instead of 33 degrees?

The dial was in the base, like a Princess.  Not in the handset, like a Trimline.

I must be imagining it, or dreamed it up.
Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

My recollection is that Dreyfus' firm did the work on the Trimline, which, by the way was a design that came after the 1500/2500.  I seem to recall that Dreyfus himself was not directly involved with the Trimline, but I may be wrong.  There was a very well done article in TCI's Singing Wires newsletter about Dreyfus and his work.  That article was four or five years ago, and if you are a member of TCI, you have access to all past issues through the TCI Members Only web page.

Someone here may recall the actual date of the article.

**Commercial Announcement follows**

If you are not already a member of TCI, now would be a good time to join.  New members can now join TCI with the electronic membership for $20.00 for the year.  Normally, a full-year membership is $25 for the electronic version.  The only difference between the postal membership and the electronic membership is that the postal membership costs $8 more.

To join, go to http://www.telephonecollectors.org/ and click on how to become a member

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum

-Bill G

paul-f

Browsing my field trial sets pages will show several other examples.  For example:
  http://www.paul-f.com/wepmodels.html#DIH

The Dreyfuss firm continued the relationship with the Bell System for many years and was involved in the design of many of the Design Line sets.  I have been fortunate enough to discuss this topic with Don Genaro, who ran the firm after Henry Dreyfuss retired.  (Although I don't recall discussing the "last" phone.) I have some marginal copies of drawings from the AT&T Archives of a set that became the Exeter that will be added to the site some day.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line