News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Possible telephone case/shell yellowing reversal: READ!

Started by BDM, March 05, 2009, 01:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

follow the previous directions to a T, using the 40%  will shock you. My next try will be a moss green with yellowing.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

If your phone shows that kind of difference, then WOW! :o
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill

Just to be sure I understand, this stuff doesn't hurt the printing under and around the dial wheel - the dots, the numbers, the letters? I assume you have to disassemble the dial, and treat only the plastic parts.

Bill

Dan

Correct sir, Actually, you can use masking tape and tape that area off (I've done it both ways). No damage to the letters. Even uneven discoloration  balances out to a glorious white.

I think "finlover" , the ebay seller must be doing this because it is hard to find a white phone like he has unless it is NOS (which he doesn't claim to have here) . He had a moss green listed a while back that had a 'bluer - blue-like" hue in it that I have never seen before (unless, once again, it had no yellowing from peroxide  cleaning).

Dan

before picture (ebay listing prewhitening)

after picture (40% H2O2)

I only  cleaned the cords( not whitened them yet, but they don't do as well.)

Dennis Markham

I'm going to have to round up those ingredients and get to work on the pile of yellowed telephones that I have here.  That looks fantastic!

Dan

Now that I finally can post digital pictures, I'll be glad to assist you and anyone who wants 'picture" help. get the 40% clear peroxide, don't fool with the 20%'

It really is quite exciting isn't it?

Dennis Markham

It really is Dan. Where does one fine the 40% peroxide?

Dan

Sallys beauty supply house--they are all over - a chain store--look in the yellow pages under "beauty". Specifically, get "Salon Care 40 volume clear developer." A quart will run you 4.99

The arrow root maybe harder to find, but I have a feeling "cornstarch" will work equally well, you just need this to thicken the heated peroxide.

Dennis Markham

Thanks Dan, I will follow your formula and give it a shot.

Dan

If your phone is as yellow as mine you will need three 6 hour applications. Flip over the housing to guide you and then you will know you have reached the "true white" when the back of the housing matches the front.

Works equally well on thermoplastic and tenite too...

Dennis Markham

In that "after" photo of the white phone, has it been polished in that photo?

Dan

Nope, but I squirted it with the turtle wax F21 ( I call it armoral for telephones). I really should have waxed it first, but it really didn't need it.

contraste

Thanks for the photos.
I wouldn't have believed such results were possible unless I read it here.
Will it work with coloured plastic?