News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Building the perfect buffing machine, and saving money

Started by Butch Harlow, March 29, 2018, 05:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

Something I thought I'd point out when getting involved in polishing telephones, and this probably applies more to Bakelite than plastic sets.    I'm posting some pictures here of Northern Electric's Bakelite Uniphone Model No. 1 in walnut.    That was the official company description "walnut", but in reality, it's kind of a mottled brown.     Yes, my choice of background was not a good one, and if I had it to do over, I'd definitely make some background changes.

If your going to polish a colored Bakelite telephone set, and you want to really accentuate the color, grain and the depth of the Bakelite mixture, use a Halogen light source, like a work light or some such light source.      Using an electronic flash light source, or incandescent light will light things up for a proper exposure, but in digital photography, if you really want to expose the depth of color and grain or a mottled Bakelite case or handset, use a Halogen light source and it'll put the picture in a whole different category.     The one thing I didn't realize at the time, is if you decide to use a Halogen light source, use a clean paint brush and some compressed air and get rid of the dust particles.   Those are the ones you can't even see with the naked eye, but that a digital camera picks up like a neon sign.   Double click to enlarge pictures.
Have a nice Easter !

Jeff Lamb

Butch Harlow

Wow! I have a bit of practice, trial and error before I get that good. That is truly one beautiful phone. Even the plungers are mottled brown. In my shop I have pretty poor lighting. I usually open up the roll up door and use daylight to judge my work. I think I might need a halogen light, haha!
Butch Harlow

Pourme

~

Fabulous pictures of a stunning phone, Jeff!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Ktownphoneco

Butch   .... Your getting pretty close to what I've posted.   I think your "E-1" handset is pretty spectacular.     A lot of this has to do with the Bakelite itself.    There's been a few articles written over the years as to what's in Bakelite, and I'm quite convinced some of those ingredients have a direct influence as to what the Bakelite looks like when it's sanded and polished.   The two most common fillers that come to mind are sawdust flour and asbestos flour.    I suspect Bakelite with an asbestos filler polishes the best, but that's strictly a theory on my part.

Bakelite without the fillers, is basically "Catalin", which is phenol formaldehyde resin.     Bakelite is " thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin".   Somebody at Northern Electric tried making what I suspect is a Catalin Uniphone No. 1 case.      It didn't go well.   See attached picture.    I call it the "Butterscotch" model.  Catalin was used in the making of Jukeboxes back in the day.   I spoke with a fellow in Pompano Beach, FL., a few years ago, who collected Jukeboxes.    His Dad was a dealer back in either the Bronx or Brooklyn, NY., back in the day, and he told me that Catalin starts changing color from the time it made, and that within a few years, blues turn to pure green or vice versa.    It also tends to shrink somewhat over time.
I think that's what happened to this experimental Uniphone.   It's defintely different.

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Ktownphoneco

Doug Rose

Jeff....those Ivory #1 pics  keeps popping up. Was that the only one or were there others that were made. Even in this state, it is still a different phone. Are you the proud owner?....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug   .....     No, unfortunately I'm not the "possessor" of that set.     The story goes, that it belonged to a telephone collector on the east coast of Canada, and who was also a former employee of either Bell Canada or Northern Electric.    He has apparently passed away as I understand it, and that telephone set has changed hands.      Who has it now, I have no idea, other than whoever it is, still lives on Canada's east coast supposedly .     According to the story about the set itself, it started out as ivory, and the brown areas are age related discolorations.   
I'd like to find out more about it myself.    As far as I know, it's the only one in existence, or at least so far.   

Jeff

Butch Harlow

Jeff, you failed to inform me of the horrible smell I would encounter when I started sanding the hard rubber receiver for my candlestick. I encounter actual sewage in my day to day work, this is definitely worse. However, you were right. I got that receiver shining like nothing I have seen. Captain Jack Sparrow would indeed be proud, it looks like black pearl to me. It took two attempts to make it acceptable, the cap being several shades browner than the body. Still, the result is, I almost need sunglasses.
Butch Harlow

Ktownphoneco

Butch  ....  One thing I meant to mention;   when you sand the old hard rubber receiver shells and caps, it produces a real foul odor.   Best to stuff about a half dozen of those old style car air fresheners that people hung from the rear view mirror, in your shirt pocket.   ;D
Yup, they do tend to open up the sinuses.   I use a bucket of warm water in the laundry tub, and try to do as much of the actual sanding under water.     It cuts down a lot of that burnt rubber smell.
I can't imagine working in that part of the factory where they made the shells and caps.   
"BUT", the results of all that sanding is impressive once the receiver is polished.       

Nice job Butch !

Jeff

Butch Harlow

It was definitely one of those "stay with you all day" kind of smells. I showered,  changed clothes, washed my hands no less than 5 times with aromatic soaps and yet still I could smell it. It had just begun to dissipate when I went and got in my truck. Like a time capsule, it was waiting for me. Febreeze to the rescue for my poor truck. The picture does that receiver shell no justice. It looks much better in person. After the first sanding and polishing attempt it had that statuary bronze look. I almost left it, but the OCD in me said "do it again." So, I did it again. Glad I did.
Butch Harlow