News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unknown Apparatus

Started by cihensley@aol.com, June 16, 2011, 04:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

I purchased this on eBay, because: it was listed in the collectible telephones section of eBay, the craftsmanship reflected in the quarter-sawn oak cabinet, it was made by Western Electric, and the old patent dates. The cabinet will benefit from the wood restorer recommended by Doug Rose and the brass work needs polishing. But, I don't know what it is. I will appreciate any thoughts or information.

Chuck

gpo706

At a guess it looks like a servants call room indicator?

You know like calling the maid/butler to a room?

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Willytx

Quote from: gpo706 on June 16, 2011, 04:39:54 PM
At a guess it looks like a servants call room indicator?

You know like calling the maid/butler to a room?

I figured someone in the UK would recognize it. I think the technical term is Bell Annunciator.

Now where's my scone?

Wallphone

As Willy said it is an annunciator.  When the signal is sent to one of the solenoid coils the pointer will drop telling you who is calling, and at the same time the bell will ring alerting you that someone is trying to contact you. You either push or pull on the bottom knob to reset the pointers. It's kind of like the early switchboards where instead of having lights you had "Drops". Google annunciator for more info.
Doug Pav

Sargeguy

That's a beauty.  One of the smaller ones I've seen, most of them have eight or more.  Great size to display.   I think the brass parts should be nickeled, except maybe the tag.  Then again I think everything should be nickeled.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Owain

How it's supposed to work is when the bell rings the arrow flicks up and stays up

The servant observes which room is desirous of attention and pulls the knob on the base to reset the arrow.

There is an explanation and circuit here.

Alternatively it may have been used as a burglar alarm.

gpo706

"Bell Annunciator" what a lovely turn of phrase!

The kind of thing my grandmother would have recognised when she was in "service"...

Nice item, let us know if you can get it wired up for use, don't think your other half would appreciate it much though!

cihensley@aol.com

Thank you for everyone that responded. I obtained a digital copy of the August 22, 1871 patent for the apparatus. In the patent application Gray says it is for use in hotels and other public buildings. If you would like a copy of the patent, send me an email at: cihensley@aol.com

Chuck

Owain

1871 eh. And Western Electric was only incorporated in 1872 by Elisha Gray and Enos M Barton.

cihensley@aol.com

Yes. See the picture of the patent dates on the apparatus - the patent was awarded to Gray - Elisha Gray - on August 22, 1871. There are later dates on the patent label when updates took place. Elisha must have taken the patent with him to the company when it was started.

Chuck

cihensley@aol.com

Here is the annunciator after wood restorer and brass polishing.

Chuck

Dan

I thought it was an antique  scoreboard of how many times a longtime  married guy had sex in a year....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on June 19, 2011, 03:23:12 PM
Here is the annunciator after wood restorer and brass polishing.

Chuck
Chuck ....another beauty. It sure is different. Nice work....Doug
Kidphone

gpo706

Nice job Chuck, looks lovely.

Maybe Dan could have a use for it?  ;)

Adam

Instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, too bad it's not marked 1, 2, 4, 8.  Then you could use it to count up to 16 in hexadecimal.

;D
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820