News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fall is Here!!!!!

Started by Kenny C, September 30, 2010, 06:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

While winter is my favorite season Fall is second its fall here in Tennessee i just baked the first batch of pumpikn seeds  :) Happy fall to you all!
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

mr_a500

I used to hate winter, but now it's my favourite too. I also used to hate fall (mainly because it meant winter is coming), but now it's second favourite. I just can't stand the heat, noise, smog and bugs of summer any more. I want the fresh, clean, icy blast of winter. The colder, the better.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Here, out in the wild, wild West, Summer thinks it is still "party on".

70's to mid 80's here in much of the states of Washington, Oregon and Idaho.  I don't expect it to last long.
-Bill G

KeithB

We just got our first few cool nights of the year, but it's been raining here in Charlotte on and off for three days.  Fortunately, it finally cleared up late this afternoon, and Fall is definitely here, finally. :D 

HarrySmith

Yes, I agree, Fall is here in South Florida, down to 73 degrees last night, high of only 88 expected today ;D

BRRR ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

I'll bet that those of you that like winter as your favorite time of year live where it's HOT HOT HOT in the summer.  Summer is my favorite here in Michigan.  Winters seem to last forever, everything is frozen, no color to the trees, grass, etc.  Although autumn is very nice, especially with fields full of bright orange pumpkins, all the apple orchards/cider mills very busy and the cool, crisp air----I prefer summer.  Plus one doesn't have to shovel rain off the driveway and sidewalks.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

mr_a500

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 01, 2010, 09:39:39 AM
I'll bet that those of you that like winter as your favorite time of year live where it's HOT HOT HOT in the summer.

Well, I'm in Ontario, Canada. It can be HOT in the summer (only one "HOT", but still gets over 35°C), but winters can get to -35°C. I still prefer the winter. (no mosquitoes, clean Canadian air from the north rather than US smog from the south ;) )

I hope this winter is colder than the last. I need the hard snow you only get in super-cold temperatures, so I can do some cross-country skiing. Last year was way too warm. There were only a couple days of useful snow.

Dennis Markham

Mr 500 you live in the right place then if you like it cold.  How far north in Ontario are you?  I know Windsor is actually south of us in the Detroit area.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 30, 2010, 06:48:20 PM
Here, out in the wild, wild West, Summer thinks it is still "party on".

70's to mid 80's here in much of the states of Washington, Oregon and Idaho.  I don't expect it to last long.
Add Colorado to that list. Leaves are starting to change in town, but it has still been upper 70's to mid 80's.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

90 degrees F today, and 76 last night.  Typical.  It hit a hundred earlier this week.  It can still hit a hundred as late as Halloween.

Our winters are really more of a coldish wetish period that runs from mid Nov to Feb 1.  Then an all too brief Spring and the oven gets set back at Broil for what seems like forever.  Dennis mentioned not liking the endless seeming winters of up north and I understand that, our summer is the same way in that it never seems like it's going to stop. 

Now San Diego, California is darn near perfect, it's almost the ideal climate.  I quote from Wikipedia:

QuoteThe city has mild, mostly dry weather, with an average of 201 days above 70 °F (21 °C) and low rainfall (9-13" annually). Summer temperatures are generally warm, with average highs of 70–78 °F (21–26 °C) and lows of 55–66 °F (13–19 °C). Temperatures exceed 90 °F (32 °C) only four days a year. Winter temperatures are mild, with average high temperatures of 66–70 °F (19–21 °C) and lows of 50–56 °F (10–13 °C). Average annual temperature of sea is 65 °F (18 °C), from 59 °F (15 °C) in January to 72 °F (22 °C) in August.[29]

Been down there off and on over the years and it's always nice.  Of course it's incredibly expensive... :-\

bwanna

dennis is right, autumn in michigan is beautiful, especially once the trees are in full color. i love seeing the fields of bright orange pumpkins & baskets of mums everywhere. the first couple of snowfalls of winter are quite pretty too. but after a couple of months of commuting on snowy/icy roads & spending the day in bone chilling cold, i am quite weary!
donna

mr_a500

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 01, 2010, 09:18:58 PM
Mr 500 you live in the right place then if you like it cold.  How far north in Ontario are you?  I know Windsor is actually south of us in the Detroit area.

I'm in between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. (two of the biggest lakes in the world - and neither clean enough to swim in)

Well I never used to like the cold. It's only in the last 7 years that I learned to like it. The key is finding something fun you can only do when it's cold and wearing lots of fleece hoods. You can't get that "ear biting cold" when wearing fleece hoods. Many times, I've actually been way too warm - and had to cool off. I've been quite comfortable, laying in a pile of snow in -35°C temperatures.

McHeath

QuoteMany times, I've actually been way too warm - and had to cool off. I've been quite comfortable, laying in a pile of snow in -35°C temperatures.

Yikes!!  That's impressive!  I've been to your neck of the woods a few times and it certainly is pretty countryside, and nice people, but the winters would be killer for someone like me who's spent most of his life in places with hardly any winter to speak of. 

Your cold tolerance reminds me of that tribe in South America the Yaghans, who lived in Tierra  del Fuego.  It's cold cold cold down there almost all the time but they never wore clothes.