News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1C2 crackle

Started by gpo706, April 24, 2010, 04:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

1C2 has very bad handset crackle, plugged into PBX through its wee RJ11 fly lead, rings OK, button keypad doesn't break dial tone.

Guess a new handset is needed?

I cant replace the TX/RX elements as I can't figure out how to get the handset apart!

Its atandard length armoured cord, I suppose I could figure out how to get the old one off, and try a hard wired handset borrowed from my 500s or 554 to check if this is the problem.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

S
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

I did payphone install/repair for several years. I frequently encountered handsets that made lots of noise unless you didn't move at all while talking. It was related to the cup that holds the Transmitter element which stradled the armoured cord. Everytime the stiff armoured cord moved it put pressure on the contacts in the cup contacting the transmitter. I think this eventually tended to take the tension off of the contacts.

I would clean the contacts and bend them to put more pressure onto the transmitter element. This almost always fixed the problem.

Many handsets have the caps glued on either in the field or when manufactured. They can still frequently be removed by applying extreme twisting in the usual direction to unscrew a cap. Sometimes glued on caps won't let go of the threads though and it will break the threads off. There are payphone handset tools to apply presure to both tighten and loose payphone handset caps.

Worst case you can replace the handset as they are readily available. As you mentioned, try a loaner handset from another phone first to make sure it isn't a different problem.

All of the payphones that we used here originally had AE handsets on them which didn't have this problem due to a different arrangement in the transmitter connections. It was after AE handsets became unavailable that we used the WECo type (they weren't actually made by WECo) handsets that tended to develop this problem.

Terry

gpo706

Thanks Terry,

Looks glued together, would very bad crackle deny the keypad from breaking dialtone?

gpo706

Hey Terry,

my problem isn't my phones its my ADSL connection, I heaved the big lump out of the corner and attached the RJ11 fly lead to the ADSL out from a filter and it works perefectly, no crackle, nowt.

But it connects through the RJ11 to the "ADSL" output, not the phone jack.

So according to my PBX through the filter its connected to a coin operated modem!

All my GPO phones are the same, they won't work without a filter on every phone, but my WE 500's work on 2 core RJ11 to RJ11 fine, this is "daeing ma heid in"!

AE_Collector

Sorry for the "no reply". I've been cruising the Pacific on the Sapphire Princess for the last couple of weeks. Now back to reality and work tomorrow morning.  :(

So your problem is a house wiring issue? You have a central ADSL splitter / POTS filter but some of your telephone jacks are on the ADSL rather than POTS output?

If so you could probably fix that up but maybe it is done because of one single set run that feeds your ADSL modem also having some tel jacks looped off of it. If you move that to the POTS output you are going to kill your ADSL modem.

I frequently encounter homes where a previous owner had ADSL with a POTS splitter in the main telco box that wasn't removed when the customer moved out. New subscriber moves in and uses the individual in-line filters on each phone jack when they don't really need to other than if they plug a phone into the jack that is unfiltered because it was where the previous sub had the ADSL modem plugged in.

Terry

gpo706

Welcome back!

The set-up in UK is you need a BT line, 2 core copper, this runs into your plug and socket technology (PST) this outs to a single PST jack, which is 4 wired.

The line then gets split, one POTS into the PBX, one to an ADSL filter/splitter, the phione jack on the filter isn't used as I have the line straght into the PBX.

All the phones connect through the PBX, all the RJ11 WE sets (including the 1C2) are plug and play.

All the GPO/BT sets have PST jacks on the end so they need to plug to a PST/RJ11 convertor. Then when you plug them in they half work, when you add an ADSL to the convertor they work perfectly.

Should I be running the PBX off the main filter/splitter, would this obviate the need for other individual extention filters?

I can't shut the case on the PBX for all the bits dangling out it!

Jim Stettler

I would filter the line going to the pbx. I think it would work.
I use a single filter before the house phones. I have an unfiltered line running to my DSL modem. Some folks say I should be using a whole house filter, but I don't have any problems with my current set-up and I have had it set like this for years.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on May 17, 2010, 01:35:28 PM
I would filter the line going to the pbx. I think it would work.
I use a single filter before the house phones. I have an unfiltered line running to my DSL modem. Some folks say I should be using a whole house filter, but I don't have any problems with my current set-up and I have had it set like this for years.
Jim

I agree with Jim. Filter everything EXCEPT the ADSL modem. A single filter before the PBX should do it since you say that ALL phones are behind the PBX.

Terry

gpo706

I'll give it tweaking and let you know, thanks for the suggestions so far.

The ADSL is through AOL, which is giving a patchy service, if we change net provider to a non ADSL service like Sky or Virgin, then that would solve it at a stroke!

AE_Collector

Quote from: gpo706 on May 18, 2010, 04:26:58 PM
I'll give it tweaking and let you know, thanks for the suggestions so far.

The ADSL is through AOL, which is giving a patchy service, if we change net provider to a non ADSL service like Sky or Virgin, then that would solve it at a stroke!

And how do Sky and Virgin work? Cell / Mobile Data Network with an ATA (Analog Terminal Adapter) in your house to connect to your home analog phone network (house telephone wiring)

Terry

gpo706

Virgin would be the successor to the old Telewest/NTL cable network, Sky I'm unsure, but folk I've spoken to don't have any use for ADSL (hence my poor response for donated filters)!