News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

JYDSK magneto phone, early 1900s?

Started by AdamAnt316, August 02, 2020, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamAnt316

Hello again, everyone! The ongoing pandemic has largely kept me sequestered these past several months, though I've managed to (carefully) venture to thrift stores and whatnot from time to time. The other day, I checked a local consignment store which was having a 10% off sale, and found this:

(click the image for a larger version)

It appears to be a JYDSK (Denmark?) version of the Ericsson AC400 (I think), circa early 1900s. Other than some mild fraying of the cloth cords, it seems to be in excellent shape. Unlike most AC400 photos I've seen, the handset cord plugs into a multi-pin connector instead of exiting from a hole on the side; oddly, said connector is on the side which places the magneto to the right, while I'd expect said connector to be on the 'rear' on the phone. ??? Here's a better shot of the 'right' side and said connector:

The (painted on?) JYDSK logos on both sides are in excellent shape. Here's a view of the one on the 'left' side:

Here's a view of the 'left' side of the phone, which would appear to be the front for some reason as mentioned above:

Here's a view of the inside of the included connection block, which appears to be original:

And for good measure, a view of the bottom of the phone. The only markings I can see is an 'XI' (IX?) near the center, and a '45' near the magneto:

RB

countryman

It's an Ericsson concept but many "Jydsk" phones were made by Emil Moller A/S, which later became Kirk. Not sure if there were any other manufacturers? These phones were made and used for a while, later models came with Bakelite handsets.
Jydsk was the phone co. of the Jutland peninsula, a part of Denmark. Congrats, the phone looks well kept and is complete with the terminal box!

Jack Ryan

By the way, the "right side with the connector" is the front.

The magneto crank is on the subscriber's right.

Jack

My question isn't about the phone, it's about how did you attach more than 6 pictures in one post and write the information between them?

Normally you can only attach 6 pictures and the post is above them.

HarrySmith

That is the phone that got me started in this obsession... errr Hobby. I picked one up at a local auction my wife and I went to every 2 weeks, now closed. We used to buy stuff & sell on eBay. I picked up one of those for $5.00. I always try to research whatever we bought and I tried to get it working. Took it all apart & cleaned & polished it. I joined both the phone clubs trying to get info on wiring it. I never did get it working but sold it on eBay for $65.00 so not a bad profit. I had a 500 installed in my bedroom when I was 15 years old and I was interested in getting one of those. A few years and a few hundred phones later, here I am!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AdamAnt316

Thanks for the replies!
Quote from: countryman on August 03, 2020, 01:58:34 AM
It's an Ericsson concept but many "Jydsk" phones were made by Emil Moller A/S, which later became Kirk. Not sure if there were any other manufacturers? These phones were made and used for a while, later models came with Bakelite handsets.
Jydsk was the phone co. of the Jutland peninsula, a part of Denmark. Congrats, the phone looks well kept and is complete with the terminal box!
Yeah, I read something about it being an Ericsson clone, but wasn't sure exactly how close it was meant to be. I wonder if this is one of the first desk phones with a detachable handset cord? I know there were some candlestick-style receivers like that, but those used pin jacks or binding posts, which aren't really the same thing.
Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 03, 2020, 02:14:18 AM
By the way, the "right side with the connector" is the front.

The magneto crank is on the subscriber's right.

Jack

I kinda figured that might be the case, but wasn't sure why the plug was oriented towards the front. Most European phones I've seen had the handset cord exit out the back, often right alongside the line cord. By the way, what are the extra two pins in the connector for? I'm guessing they're meant for a 'mother-in-law receiver' as seen on some other European phones, but I'm not entirely sure.
Quote from: HarrySmith on August 03, 2020, 08:27:29 AM
That is the phone that got me started in this obsession... errr Hobby. I picked one up at a local auction my wife and I went to every 2 weeks, now closed. We used to buy stuff & sell on eBay. I picked up one of those for $5.00. I always try to research whatever we bought and I tried to get it working. Took it all apart & cleaned & polished it. I joined both the phone clubs trying to get info on wiring it. I never did get it working but sold it on eBay for $65.00 so not a bad profit. I had a 500 installed in my bedroom when I was 15 years old and I was interested in getting one of those. A few years and a few hundred phones later, here I am!
Cool! :) The phone which got me started as a kid wasn't an old phone, but one of those Crosley replica pay phones. Since I couldn't find a real payphone (or even afford the replica), I settled for a hand-me-down turquoise rotary Trimline phone. After getting it ringing and the dial lighting, I started picking up old phones wherever I came across them at yard sales and whatnot, and about a hundred later, here we are...  ::)
Quote from: Duffy on August 03, 2020, 07:57:50 AM
My question isn't about the phone, it's about how did you attach more than 6 pictures in one post and write the information between them?

Normally you can only attach 6 pictures and the post is above them.
The first six images aren't attachments, they're linked from my own website, along with larger versions of each one, within the context of my post. Per a request from TelePlay, I also attached the same six images to my post, in case the above-linked images stop working for one reason or another. I had a couple more photos I could've put in my post, but wasn't able to due to the limit; here's one of them, a view of the painted JYDSK logo from the other side:

And here's the attached version:

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AdamAnt316 on August 03, 2020, 12:37:01 PM
By the way, what are the extra two pins in the connector for? I'm guessing they're meant for a 'mother-in-law receiver' as seen on some other European phones, but I'm not entirely sure.

Yes, it's the auxiliary receiver connector.

There is less cord clutter with the plugs on the front. The same is true of nearly every transceiver.

I don't think there was any attempt to make telephones exactly like the Ericsson version. In fact they were probably different on purpose to differentiate (and sell) the local manufacturer's telephone. It is also likely that the national government wanted locally manufactured equipment to help the local economy.

Jack