News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help identifying my new oak wall phone

Started by davedolli, August 02, 2015, 01:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davedolli

I have started collecting old telephones, and only have six at the present. four are oak wall phones and the other two are candle sticks. I have one wall phone that I am trying to find out more info on. It is a two box tandem, with a beveled glass front, and all the hardware is nickel plated. It has a Stromberg Carlson receiver, and an American Electric transmitter. It has a button on the upper left side of the ringer box which is connected to a leaf switch the you have to push while cranking to get the phone to ring. I also found a small tag tacked to the inside of the top box. It says "Test card and Guarantee" It has Generator and ringer ohms listed and the inspectors initials. It also has the date of 7/11/0. At the bottom of the card it has "The Williams-Abbott Electric Co., 10 Columbus St, Cleveland Ohio USA I am assuming this is around the time it was made, and maybe the maker. I have not found any other markings so far. Anything anyone can tell me about my phone is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

HarrySmith

Hi and welcome to the forum! I am not a woody expert but that is one nice phone! I am sure one of our members will be able to assist you in the identification. You have found the best forum on the net. Thanks for the pics.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

davedolli

Thanks, I have been reading and learning here. I have always been interested in old phones, radios, tvs, etc. I have been searching the Internet but haven't found anything close to my phone.

Dave

G-Man

I have attached an illustration of a Williams-Abbott 3-bar magneto that was offered for sale in 1899, the year prior date shown on the inspection tag in your set. Check to see if it is similar to yours. (edit: attach illustration)

Also, here is the text of a letter, dated seven years earlier, announcing the sale of the company.

The button on the side was for "secret-signaling."

The Williams Abbott Electric Co.
Cleveland, O.,  April 10, 1907

TO THE TRADE:

We have sold to the Century Telephone Construction Company of Buffalo NY our entire plant including our machines tools dies patterns etc.
     This transfer includes all the valuable improvements developed on Williams Abbott apparatus during our ten years active connection with the telephone business during which time our patrons will agree with us we have built up a line of apparatus that has an enviable reputation.
      We have sold the Century Company our materials manufactured and unmanufactured our patents and the good will of the business. Our patrons can thus get a complete variety of apparatus both common battery and magneto and it will be to your interest to deal with one concern.
      All orders for repairs and renewals as well as for additional apparatus of the Williams Abbott make should be sent to The Century Telephone Construction Company at Buffalo.
      While our factory here in Cleveland was a large one the new factories of the Century Company at Buffalo are three times as large and our old patrons will be promptly supplied with the same apparatus as formerly whenever they specify it as the entire line will continue to be manufactured the same as formerly and under the same factory foremen who have moved to Buffalo.
      Mr. Wright, who was our sales manager is now a part of the Century sales organization and we know that any orders for Williams Abbott materials will have his personal attention and that they will treat you right.
      We thank the trade for the patronage that they have favored us with during the past several years and which has been the basis for the large business we have carried on.

Yours truly,
THE WILLIAMS-ABBOTT ELECTRIC CO.
L. SANDS President

davedolli

I read the letter, but didn't see an attachment. Also, what was the purpose of the beveled glass window?

Thanks, Dave

G-Man

Quote from: davedolli on August 02, 2015, 08:57:38 PM
I read the letter, but didn't see an attachment. Also, what was the purpose of the beveled glass window?

Thanks, Dave
The illustration was attached after my reply was posted so recheck it. The beveled glass was for cosmetic purposes to make these early telephones attractive when installed, especially in a home.

davedolli

It looks a lot like mine, except for the secret signaling switch and mine is a four bar mag. Thanks for posting.