"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cloth wire compared

Started by OldPhoneUser, April 07, 2018, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldPhoneUser

hey all,

I ordered four conductor cloth cordage from radiodaze, and am very happy with terminating it. Even the individual wires are cloth covered, and the conductors are tin plated copper and are easy to bend or crimp to.  But it may be that this one is not as good in daily use for a flexible usage. I think it will be ok in that regard though.

I'd really have to get an OEM cord and compare.  Just throwing this out there.

twocvbloke

Seeing just the three conductors there makes it look like old UK wiring colours for mains flex cables, Red=Live, Black=Neutral and Green=Earth... :)

OldPhoneUser

there is a fourth white one behind there... but that nostalgia is interesting!  :)

twocvbloke

Those colours were used before the european harmonisation took place (where Live=Brown, Neutral=Blue, Earth=Green/Yellow) as at the time, there were so many different wiring standards, some countries even using Red for their Earth wire, which made for interesting times for people bringing electrical things over from the continent and wiring them up incorrectly... :o

mentalstampede

It certainly looks like nice wire. I wonder how it compares to the cloth cordage from OPW.

I can see how that could be confusing! In the US we use White for neutral, Green for earth, and Black for the live.

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 08, 2018, 03:45:35 AM
Those colours were used before the european harmonisation took place (where Live=Brown, Neutral=Blue, Earth=Green/Yellow) as at the time, there were so many different wiring standards, some countries even using Red for their Earth wire, which made for interesting times for people bringing electrical things over from the continent and wiring them up incorrectly... :o
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

twocvbloke

Yeah, I've a few examples of north american wiring, does seem odd seeing Black for Live, as Red means "Danger!", whereas black means very little...

OldPhoneUser

the opw wire is thin soft stranded more like tinsel than wire. when I bend it to form a loop it just springs right back wont hold at all, and thinner.  the individual conductor insulation is smooth vinyl, no cloth on indiv conductors.

that said, it is more flexible.  not sure which is better for a phone cord, or maybe both the same. inside the phone I would use the radio daze hands down though. because the conductors are more substantial and cloth covered, period correct for old radios and maybe phones.

from phone to subset and to wall not sure. I'm using the OPW cord at the moment.

rdelius

In order to use the tensel OPW wires you  have to use crimp lugs-not the large insulated type.

HarrySmith

I have found that tinsel wire difficult to work with. Impossible to solder and difficult to strip. I just use the self piercing lugs on it and check with the multi meter to ensure a good connection.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"