News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I don't understand how to determine shipping costs on ebay.

Started by Greg G., December 18, 2015, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I saw an item on ebay (not a phone) that sold just 5 weeks ago.  I have one just like it, but I don't understand how the other seller was able to use Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority MailĀ®) for only $5.95.  Or for that matter, with phones too, e.g. the 5302 I just bought was only $11.70, also Expedited shipping.  I don't find those prices anywhere when I look at the calculators online with the USPS, or at best, they want to know the destination before giving a price.  How am I supposed to know that before it's sold?  The Flat Rate prices are much more than that.  What am I missing?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

NorthernElectric

Maybe they had a free shipping option and the low charge was the difference in price between that and the Priority?  Just a guess.

I always click the shipping tab to see if there's multiple options, because I think ebay always shows the highest priced option (if there are more than one) on the main auction page under the current bid or BIN price.  For me the difference can be significant because I'm in Canada and if the seller offers both Priority Int'l and 1st Class Int'l  ebay will show the priority charge on the auction page under the current bid but the 1st Class will be more economical if offered.
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: Brinybay on December 18, 2015, 05:34:09 PM
I saw an item on ebay (not a phone) that sold just 5 weeks ago.  I have one just like it, but I don't understand how the other seller was able to use Expedited Shipping (USPS Priority MailĀ®) for only $5.95.  Or for that matter, with phones too, e.g. the 5302 I just bought was only $11.70, also Expedited shipping.  I don't find those prices anywhere when I look at the calculators online with the USPS, or at best, they want to know the destination before giving a price.  How am I supposed to know that before it's sold?  The Flat Rate prices are much more than that.  What am I missing?

$5.95 sounds like the priority mail large padded envelope. A lot of things fit into that!
$11.70 probably was the flat-rate medium size box.
Ebay/Paypal have special prices that are different that the standard USPS prices.  However, the discount one gets is more than eaten by the seller charges on shipping cost.

wds

Could also be that the seller isn't calculating the shipping costs, but is showing a fixed price for priority mail without regard to the weight.  The seller may not be that concerned with shipping costs. 
Dave

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on December 18, 2015, 07:33:31 PM

Ebay/Paypal have special prices that are different that the standard USPS prices.  However, the discount one gets is more than eaten by the seller charges on shipping cost.

Quote from: wds on December 18, 2015, 08:08:56 PM
Could also be that the seller isn't calculating the shipping costs, but is showing a fixed price for priority mail without regard to the weight.  The seller may not be that concerned with shipping costs.

I think I get the picture.  For one, I wasn't looking at the ebay or Paypal shipping options, and secondly, it sounds like the sellers were eating part of the shipping costs in order to attract more bidders, which I can understand, especially since ebay now includes the shipping cost as part of the final sale price.

In case you're curious, this is the item I have that I saw on ebay, but mine doesn't have the stain:  http://tinyurl.com/h2qo3dg
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Most phones will fit in a medium priority flat box. Seller is required by eBay to have insurance. Things get lost or broken or are alleged lost or broken. If you do not have it insured it is 100% your loss and you have to pay the refund including shipping. I find $14.99 covers everything in the US Medium Priority Flat Box Insured Delivery Confirmation and it is there two days from shipping with documentation of it arriving.

Anything less, the seller had to pay the rest or live with the risk or ask for more money in shipping cause I have made a mistake.  :-X

You figured out shipping on eBay!!   TAAADAAA ..Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I bought an AE 40 with shipping for something like $3.50 once. It arrived Media Mail! Depends how much nerve you have or maybe if you have a good relationship with a PO person.

Terry

Buzby

Shipping rates with ebay are a constant source of mystery and misery.

I stopped selling when ebay and paypal decided that shipping costs were a part of the pie they were missing.

As to postage rates, I do think that most sellers are honest with their charges, and you can spot the ones that aren't. I'm sure there are those who totally underestimate charges, and feel stupid going back to the buyer because they charged so low.

compubit

I've noticed some times I get a low shipping charge when logged in - only to discover the seller is also in the DC area. Seems that $6 for a 5 lb. priority mail package is a valid local price... (Just found that out shipping something myself...). Flat rate is just that; other Priority Mail options are both weight and distance based...

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Greg G.

I like buying from ebay, but I hate selling.  I sold the JP Patches doll via Craigslist.  Asking price was $100, buyer (a JP collector) offered $80 and I took it.  No hassle with shipping and he lived near me. 
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

I agree, those are flat rate prices. I almost always ship with flat rate. Yes, the flat rate padded envelope is great for shipping all sorts of stuff!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"