News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got a great shine.

Started by persido, November 26, 2013, 02:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

After a lot of different products and methods I have finally got the shine I've been looking for.
Just wanted to say thanks Doug, I tried  a method of yours (well sort of) that was in a recent post of yours.
step 1 wash with dish soap
step 2 steel wool with Brasso
step 3 rubbed Weinman Lemon Oil and let sit for a few days.
The pictures don't really show the awesome shine, all I can say is wow.
I wish I had taken some before pictures of the handsets, they were very dull, no life in them.
Again, thanks Doug as always your advice ROCKS!!!

Scot

Doug Rose

Really Nice Scott, they look great. I always think of the before pictures AFTER  I am finished. ,,,,Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Just curious (and I really just can't resist asking), does Weinman also make a good oil?   ;D

Seriously, a very nice job on those, indeed.

Dan/Panther

I found that no matter what final substance I put on a phone, whether it be F-21, Novus, Lemon oil, McGuires, Armoral. After the substance dries out, the phone turns dull again. Is there a product that stays shiny ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Matilo Telephones

A substance that stays on the bakelite and makes it shiny. That's a description of clear paint/varnish, isn't it?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

WEBellSystemChristian

D/P;

I haven't tried it, but I've heard shoe polish does the trick on black plastics. My bakelite handsets look shiny after I use 2000 grit wet sanding, followed by Meguiars compound, then polish, then Johnson paste wax.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

I wouls imagine the black shoe polish would come off on your hands. Maybe a paste was after to seal in in.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE40FAN

Black shoe polish works great on bakelite unless it's too far gone...

Dan/Panther

So basically, it's everyone experience, and not just me. It's an ongoing polishing regimen.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 27, 2013, 05:16:09 PM
I would imagine the black shoe polish would come off on your hands. Maybe a paste was after to seal in in.
We used to have a supervisor at work we all liked, but we enjoyed pranking him. His desk sat in the center of the sortation section of the mail plant, and when he went for lunch, the pranksters went to work.

They went to his desk and liberally spread shoe polish on the earpiece of the phone. As soon as he returned, one of them went over into the lettercarrier section,  and called his phone from there. He picked up the phone, put it to his ear, and.....

Well, you guess the rest of the story - he spent the rest of the evening with a very black ear!

Funny thing, he didn't notice the shoe polish on it until the next day!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

:D :D a funny history and finally this man got a great shined ear hahahaha........... thanks Dave

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 28, 2013, 02:46:38 PM
So basically, it's everyone experience, and not just me. It's an ongoing polishing regimen.

D/P

Yep, once the polymers start going away, the only way to keep Bakelite shiny is to keep polishing.  I once found an article that involved coating an F1 with multiple coats of tung oil varnish to get a more permanant shine, which I tried, but even that was not as good as an original new bakelite handset.  At least it did not need continuous polishing.
-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 28, 2013, 02:46:38 PM

D/P

Yep, deja vu' all over again!   ;)