News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord from the handset is cut.

Started by SteveK, January 25, 2017, 11:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

You likely meant 22 or 24 gauge station wire. I don't think that 4 - 18 guage wires would fit though the armoured outer cover. A 4 conductor straight mounting cord could likely be made to look original.

Actual tinsel conductors are considered to be something like 30 or 32 guage so anything you can fit in place of the existing conductors will work electrically.

Terry

Stan S

SteveK
I'm surprised nobody asked why the handset cable was cut. I've got a feeling replacing the handset cable is the least of the problems with that 3-slot.
I'd post pictures of the inside top and bottom of the phone. Let's see if there's anything else that's been 'modified'.
Stan S.

SteveK

Was told it was cut by bell when they sold them off so that it was not use able. I will up load pics but I think looking at other pics rest is intact.

Victor Laszlo

You will not get 4 #18 wires through that shield.  Four #26 might fit.  Try a piece of 4-conductor wire with stranded conductors from your friendly local alarm company.  Or try a modular flat 4-conductor cord with the plugs cut off. If you want the easiest and most authentic solution, get a new armored cord from the place I recommended to you back on Jan 26th.

SteveK

Thanks Terry 22 gauge fit in nicely. Did not even need to attach to old wires and pull through. I think the next one will go much quicker.

SteveK

Victor I guess agree to disagree. I prefer to have original handset and cord although I am surprised you never asked how I got them apart. Pics for anyone interested.

Jim Stettler

Steve,
I am curious on how you got the handset open. The caps should be  "ultrasonically welded" (I think this means the threads are "melted" after assembly).
I notice this has a black handset. I have been told that black payphone handsets are for indoor locations and the dark gray handsets are for outdoor locations (per SW Bell installer). The reason is that black handsets can get too hot to hold if they are in the sun.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

SteveK

Hi Jim

Figured it couldn't hurt if I was going to replace anyways. Treated it like I would with any of my pool stuff I need to take apart. Used a hairdryer on the handset moving the heat around so as to not damage and then tried to unscrew by hand. Had to continue a bit then opened by hand. You could see inside some of the glue. Just lucky on this year of phone not permanently welded I guess . Have done two so far without issue. Will try a couple more.

Hope it helps someone in same situation.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: SteveK on February 23, 2017, 07:23:16 PM
Hi Jim

Figured it couldn't hurt if I was going to replace anyways. Treated it like I would with any of my pool stuff I need to take apart. Used a hairdryer on the handset moving the heat around so as to not damage and then tried to unscrew by hand. Had to continue a bit then opened by hand. You could see inside some of the glue. Just lucky on this year of phone not permanently welded I guess . Have done two so far without issue. Will try a couple more.

Hope it helps someone in same situation.

That could be the standard fix. This is the first "try" I have heard of, and it worked.
Great job,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Around here all of the older handsets weren't glued in any way. We used the Payphone handset tools to put the caps on real tightly so they weren't easy to remove. I heard of guys having some sort of glue in the past to use in problem areas.

Newer handsets in the mid 90's or so began to come sealed closed but quite often the Payphone handset tool could still remove the caps. Other times it would break the threads off the handle leaving them inside the caps.

Terry

mentalstampede

I have a NE G3 handset with glued caps that I was able to open with a little heat and gentle use of a strap wrench. Apparently they used some sort of glue instead of a solvent weld.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

SteveK

Success ! phone is all wired up and running. ....thanks to Vern P for the networks....awesome to deal with and gave lots of help......and John aka Princess phones for his expertise and his wiring .....great setup and thanks for his hospitality. 233g payphone up and running. Thank to all and this great site!