News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Local phone lines delivered by radio???

Started by markosjal, January 21, 2017, 01:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

So I am moving out to the country (where the water tastes like wine), and discovered that to where I am going there is no POTS lines no internet, no Cable Internet nor cable Lines for phone. NO WIRED TELEPHONES WHATSOEVER, and even very weak cell singnals.

Apparently Telmex (Mexico) uses some kind of wireless telephone delivery system in this area and other areas like it .

It appears to be some kind of flat pack antenna .From what i have seen sometimes they are monted on a telephone pole and can deliver 2 lines.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these kinds of "radios" for phone lines , their reliability in rain, etc.

Looks like I will be using a USA SIM for unlimited unthrottled internet from 4g cell tower with a highly directional , high gain antenna. Luckily they work her in Mexico too.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

19and41

This company, Formerly Wilson Electronics make signal amplification systems for cell and wi fi reception.  I have a hand held model for my cell phone.  If things get difficult, they may offer an answer.

https://www.weboost.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US%20-%20Brand%20-%20PS&utm_term=Wilson%20Electronics&utm_content=Wilson%20-%20Electronics%20-%20Exact
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Years ago we used something that Microtel (AE Canada) called Space Tel to send phone service by satellite to remote communities where some sort of local radio system distributed the "numbers" to homes where a receiver turned it into a hard wired type phone line that a conventional phone was connected to. This was in the 80's and I recall hearing when they eventually turned it down but I don't know exactly what replaced it.

The obvious replacement would have been cellular but these were small remote communities where it would be hard to imagine them putting a Cell site. We used microwave to connect remote communities up and down our coast line but of course had to install conventional telephone switches and outside plant as well. We had a LOT of "trailers" full of Step by Step scattered throughout the province. Most were built in town at a facility we called "Trailer Town" and then shipped to location.

Terry

TelePlay

To this day they put microwave dishes on cell towers in rural but high need areas, such as a tower along a major interstate or in the middle. Power is there but phones lines are not, at least not what they need. The cost of running buried 60 pair cable along with FO from the nearest source phoneco source miles away made it more cost effective to do the dish thing. The tower is needed to fill a hole but the RF grid determining the placement of the tower may put it well away from existing service. In isolate areas, they could do that with repeater dishes to get to really remote communities except the number of hits per day on a tower in a community of 100 to 200 people would never justify the $200K for a tower plus another $200K for each carrier's electronics on the tower, plus the chain of dish towers to get to the community. If it weren't for the 1996 TCA mandating that cell companies cover some 80% of an areas population (major cities and highways) by 2001 or 2002, a lot of folks living along highways out in farm country would not have cell service today. Any tower with less than 3 carriers (centerline mounted platforms) is likely loosing money and made up for by those that have 4 to 7 carriers on them. Now that does not go to say cell companies are not making money, they just don't want to or need to anymore service those areas where rabbits and squirrels out number people. At least this is the way it was some 15 years ago. So today it remains the same problem and I would guess everything would cost even more.