News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GEC telephone

Started by mark9564, March 18, 2015, 03:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark9564

GEC telephone they are asking $175. Is it worth it,  never heard of them?

DavePEI

Quote from: mark9564 on March 18, 2015, 03:10:30 PM
GEC telephone they are asking $175. Is it worth it,  never heard of them?
They were a British telephone (division of General Electric Co.). A lot of them were imported into Western Canada and used on the systems out there.... It might be priced a bit steep, but we will see what others say...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Definitely a british phone, though the price is quite high considering they can sell for under £50 in their home country, it does look to be in pretty good condition though, but $175 is more an Ivory version price...

Just a note, the General Electric Company (GEC) was not affiliated with General Electric (GE), they were two entirely separate businesses... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_Company_plc

Russ Kirk

This is a tough one. Like the old saying that beauty is the eye of the beholder.

Buying from eBay is a hit and miss, so for this conversation i am talking about finding a phone in person.

There have been many times I found a phone in an antique store that was over priced.  I ask myself when will Ii see another one of these?  If I have not see one of these in many years it may be several years until I find another one.  So I weigh the extra dollars spent (in this case it may be $25-75) vs. having the phone now.

When i traveled for work i would find phones. I asked myself "on plane flight home would I regret the extra few dollars or not buying the phone"  knowing i cannot go back and get it later. I bought many phones when i traveled, the ones i did not buy, i still regret to this day.

If you like the phone and have not seen one for a long time and have the money to spend, buy it. You will pay too much for some phones and get others really cheap.  What will you regret more, spending a bit too much or not having a cool phone in your collection?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

LarryInMichigan

This is a British GPO 300 series.  They are not common in the USA, but they do show up occasionally, and they can go begging for bidders on ebay.  I have two of them that I got quite cheaply because it seems that North American bidders are just not terribly interested in them.  I wouldn't pay anywhere close to $175 for a black one.  Colors are a different story.  Be aware that lower quality versions of these were made in India and sometimes appear on ebay.

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 18, 2015, 04:39:20 PM
This is a British GPO 300 series.

Not entirely, it's made by one of the companies that made the GPO 300 series, but it's not a GPO 300 series, it's a GEC No. 77... :)

http://britishtelephones.com/gec/77.htm

LarryInMichigan

I will never figure out all of the British phones. Anyway, I still don't think that one is worth $175.

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 18, 2015, 05:20:15 PMAnyway, I still don't think that one is worth $175.

Neither do I, for that money you could import one from here in blighty and still have spare change... ;D