"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Where to find AE terminal strip

Started by HudValley, March 12, 2013, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HudValley

Hey all,

I have a AE90 Wall Phone that I purchased from eBay. It was my first one, so I was excited to restore it. I did all the body work, cleaned all the connections, fixed the dial and it looks great.
Then...it didn't work. After some research, I found that the seller sold it to me missing a key part (something I wish I had known about). There is a terminal strip that sits behind the dial that is missing.

I can't seem to find one online to buy (nor did I expect to be able to). Anyone know how to track one down? Or, does anyone know any kind of work around?

Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a wiring diagram showing the terminal strip.

Thanks,

Rob

dsk

poplar1

Does your phone have a rheostat? Does it have a terminal marked 23 with the green and black handset wires?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HudValley

Poplar and DSK,

Thanks for the replies.

Poplar,

I'm new to this. What is a rheostat?

There is no terminal 23. The green and black handset wires go to terminal 3.

DSK,

The terminal numbers in the wiring diagram you linked do not match up with my phone.

Thanks,

Rob

poplar1

An early AE 80 or 90 has a rheostat. If yours does, there will be a way to adjust it on the bottom of the phone using a screwdriver. I think there are also some numbers stamped on the base of the phone in a circle around the part that you adjust.

Rheostats are sometimes used to adjust the brightness of lights---also known as dimmers in that use. In the early AE 80s and 90s, the rheostat was adjusted based on how far you were from the central office. Later, this was done automatically by the "self-compensating network."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

HudValley ,
                 Here's a pic of the terminal strip that Rob needs.
Rob, The diagram you posted , does it match your phone ?
        I can't remember where a place to buy a 5 connection terminal strip is , but I'm still looking.   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

A fairly common "barrier Strip", only used on the early potted network type AE 90's. seems odd that it would have been removed. Most 90's never came with this. We need a picture of the network though it does sound although iris a potted network by the terminal numbering.

Terry

dsk

Yes, some pictures may help us to help.
A RHEOSTAT is a kind of adjustable resistor or potentiometer, usually made of resistor wire wound up, and some kind of sliding contact. (The wattage may be quite high, and some really huge variants had oil cooling and was used in motor starter circuits too.  (several hundred lbs)) I guess this one is 3watts or so.

dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 26, 2013, 01:51:53 AM
A fairly common "barrier Strip", only used on the early potted network type AE 90's. seems odd that it would have been removed. Most 90's never came with this. We need a picture of the network though it does sound although iris a potted network by the terminal numbering.
You can buy these on eBay. Search for "screw terminal barrier strip". Watch which one you order - you want one as close to the original as you can get. You may have to modify the mount slightly to get them to work.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HudValley

Attached are some photos of the where the strip may or may not belong and of the network card. The number on the network card is WA-1063-A.

Thanks,
Rob

AE_Collector

Don't think that AE 90 needs the terminal strip. They resorted to connecting the telephone line directly onto the network screw terminals by this point in time. You have a frequency ringer there though.

In your first post above you mentioned that it doesn't work. What does or does not work?

Terry

HudValley

Terry,

Before I answer, let's make sure I'm wiring this correctly. I can't seem to find the diagram for this network that doesn't include the wiring strip. So do you know what numbers L1 and L2 are?

I'm somewhat new at this and find AE phones baffling, but I'm trying, so I appreciate you and everyone else's patience.

Thanks,

Rob

AE_Collector

L1 & L2 go to 8 and 10 on the network board.

Terry

HudValley

OK well that was set up, but I'm getting nothing. No dial tone or anything.

Phonesrfun

The terminal strip is just there as a convenient place to hook the wires to when they used to use solid copper wire to wire wall phones.

You can connect your line cord wires right to the network as Terry said.  If it is still not working, perhaps the dial or hookswitch or handset are mis-wired.  Good photos of all the connections would help in diagnosing.
-Bill G