News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found a pink 500P mushroom phone at antique store today - value??

Started by baldopeacock, October 03, 2010, 06:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

Ran across several decent phones at an antique store in north Texas this afternoon.   I bought one, but another one was more rare and interesting, as follows:

They had a pink 500P mushroom phone that appeared to be all original and unrestored, visible dates did match.   I didn't write down the date but it was '55-57.  This one does not have the nightlight switch, which had me wondering until I looked up this model on Paul F's site.    There is some minor color fade on the fat coil cord and some minor discoloration to the case/handset/dial ring....   no other damage.   Six hole earpiece cap, and definitely smells like cheese.   I noticed it when I picked it up off the shelf.

Price on the phone was $400 firm.   Opinions -- high, low, average??   It's not in my price range but if someone's interested I can pass along contact info.   The last pink 500U on eBay closed at around $650.

JimH

I would'nt pay $400 unless it was perfect.  Seems a bit high to me.
Jim H.

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I think given the scarcity of the 500P vs. the 500U and 500P/U , $400 is probably a good deal.  It's almost impossible to find pink cords that old without fading, so I wouldn't even take that into account. 
= DARRIN =