News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Local & Long Distance Telephone Lamp Shade

Started by Doug Rose, October 17, 2014, 08:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this on Sunday and just got it today. I am just so happy with it!!!! ...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171498760097
Kidphone

HarrySmith

WOW! very nice Doug :D Great catch! What amazes me even more is that Gary has an original :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Very nice, indeed.

Doug Rose

The seller told me " The fellow I bought it from around 3 months ago said that he got it directly from Fenton when they were shutting down and paid $1190.00 for it." I am curious if anyone knows what these went for. Over a grand for these seems awfully high.

That being said ....it is a wonderful piece and I am thrilled to own it. Looks like the original..... made by the original's maker!

It is sitting on my favorite lamp in my phone room until I mount it properly....Doug
Kidphone

Dave F

The originals of this shade, made around 1910, usually do sell for around $1000.  These repros were made by the same company who made the originals (Fenton).  It is important for any collector who plans on obtaining one of these shades to be very careful when purchasing.  Although the repros are high quality, they are nevertheless still reproductions.  If you see one advertised as an original, be sure that it really is before plunking down big bucks.  The originals can often be differentiated by the presence of small chips in the top ring, caused by decades of use hanging from a ceiling fixture.  Also, the blue color of the originals often has a slightly duller finish, the result of surface oxidation and having been cleaned many times with chemical cleaners.  That being said, even the repros are very nice, and you got a good price on yours.  Congrats!

DF

Doug Rose

thanks guys....I am more than just a little happy with it. I never expected to own one. It  looks so cool when the lamp is lit.. When looking at the original side by side in the pics, I see no difference. I do realize it is a repro....but still.....Doug
Kidphone