"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Just Grabbed a Grabaphone

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 29, 2011, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190525800849

I noticed this shortly before it ended and entered  a snipe just for fun.  I didn't really expect to get it.  The cords are shot, and the finish is not quite mint, but it is probably worth $46.

Larry

wds

I watched this auction, but didn't bid.  I bought one just like it a couple months ago and paid double that amount.  That was a very good price and a great phone for a collection. 
Dave

Phonesrfun

It's great to see one with the transmitter horn intact.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 29, 2011, 08:04:25 PM
It's great to see one with the transmitter horn intact.

It will really be great to see it arrive here intact.  I gave the seller instructions to wrap the handset separately along with a warning that severe breakage will likely occur if it is not, and I sure hope that the instructions will be followed.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The Grabaphone finally arrived.  It was packed very poorly with only some crumbled paper.  The handset was lying in the bottom of the box with the phone mostly on top of it.  Amazingly, nothing seems to have been damaged.

I haven't had much time to look t it yet, but I opened the receiver and saw a date of "Jan 1928" stamped in vermillion on the capsule.  The hook switch is not right.  I do not know if it is missing parts or what.  I will try to post a picture or two when I have a chance.  Does anyone know of any pictures or diagrams of how the hook switch is supposed to be configured.

Larry

wds

I have a question about the grabaphone base cover plates.  I've seen these phones with the felt ring on the bottom, and like mine with the rubber gasket.  Does anyone know when the rubber gasket made it's appearance?  Before or after the leather ring?  Or was the rubber gasket used in certain applications?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Mine has a felt ring.  I also have a Kellogg candlestick which is missing its felt ring.  Does anyone know where to find a replacement?

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just started dismantling and cleaning the handset.  The transmitter spit cup is actually brass.  I have originally thought that it was bakelite.  It's no wonder that it did not break in shipment.  Almost every other part of the handset is nickel plated.  The grip is brown bakelite.

Larry