News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC Fatboy vent slots; how do you remove old paint from them?

Started by RotoTech99, October 31, 2015, 02:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I have a SC Fatboy housing I have removed the old paint from, but there is a little left in the vent louver slots in back I can not remove..

Please give advice on removing that from slots, or is it neglible enough that it should not be bothered?
I can see it only if I look at an angle at the slot louvers, so I think of it as a cosmetic issue, but I would like advice before continuing or calling the housing "done"..

Please accept thanks in advance.

Replies may also be sent to eburnett99@yahoo.com

Jim Stettler

I would try 409 and a toothbrush.Most old paint on telephones can be removed with common household cleaners and elbow grease.
Do you have the insect screen for the vents?
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotoTech99

I haven't tried 409 just yet.. I used full strength nail polish remover to remove the majority, then washed it with dish soap, then Brasso with a cotton washcloth to polish it.

I have the old cloth that was inside, and i also have some window screen; the nonmetal type I can cut to size in case I experience a "glitch" with the old material.

I have attached a extra photo of the housing front as well. The housing was originally painted beige over the black Bakelite.

BTW: Do you mean "Formula 409 spray cleaner"?  Also, is there a similar cleaner that would work as well you could suggest?

Jim Stettler

formula 409 Spray, I would experiment with any of the household cleaners that you have on hand. Some folks use brake fluid,I have never tried it on bakelite.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotoTech99

Thank you.

I'll pass on the brake fluid idea, but i do have CLR cleaner, and bathroom tile and tub cleaners as well.

I think a firm bristle toothbrush will be needed next.. I was using med. bristle ones which I don't think give enough "push" to dislodge the paint after it is loosened. I will try a couple of cleaners after I get another toothbrush

Doug Rose

Citrix stripper applied with a Q-Tip between the vents and let it sit overnight. Next day what doesn't come right off with a fresh Q-tip, use some fine steel wool. I have cleaned two past painted SC Fatboys. The paint should preserve the shine on the Bakelite. Only thing you lose is the decal.....Doug
Kidphone