News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

HUGE Collection

Started by HarrySmith, November 18, 2018, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Anyone in Pennsylvania want a ready made collection? I just spotted this one for sale on eBay.
Listed as over 450 phones. Does not look like anything special but could probably make some good money selling them all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352506329033
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I don't know Harry...I saw this before. 3K for 450 beaters looks like a lot to put out to make any money. Just my humble opinion....Doug

Kidphone

HarrySmith

There is the best offer option. I would not pay that amount either.

--------------------------

EDIT: Best Offer option removed at some time prior to 11/8/18 at 6:10 pm CST
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I already have over 450 telephones like that in my garage.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 18, 2018, 06:20:37 PM
I already have over 450 telephones like that in my garage.
Jim S.

Now you can double your hoard in one shot!:)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Item is out of stock!  Harry you Devil....you bought them!   ::) ...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

The 450 phones might be sold, but the seller still has this one phone up for sale.

I wonder why this one was listed separately. Seller says 1957 metal dial. Maybe it was the oldest phone in the collection.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Partyline4

Hmm.....

Math comes out to $6.33 a phone - not a bad deal considering you'll never buy a plain jane for less than $10 at the usual antique or flea market....

They look like they were stored poorly, so the guts are probably rusted/corroded on most....

Looks like a bad deal.

Sam the Seller has been through them all I bet, and hasn't found the sacred Mushroom, or a ripened AE Orchid...

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 18, 2018, 07:33:34 PM
Item is out of stock!  Harry you Devil....you bought them!   ::) ...Doug

It is showing out of stock when you click on the link, but it does not show up in his "completed items" or "sold items."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Partyline4 on November 19, 2018, 11:26:29 AM
Hmm.....

Math comes out to $6.33 a phone - not a bad deal considering you'll never buy a plain jane for less than $10 at the usual antique or flea market....

I don't offer more than $2-3 for a plain Jane mod 500 set anymore. Sometimes I get them , sometimes I don't. Either way I am a winner. A spare parts phone for $3.00 or save my $3 and not have another parts phone around that I never need.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

Quote from: poplar1 on November 19, 2018, 01:01:58 PM
It is showing out of stock when you click on the link, but it does not show up in his "completed items" or "sold items."

May have withdrawn the sale and didn't sell it through eBay.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

FABphones

Or possibly a bug in eBay software.
Shows as sold on watchcount, and although the offer option was removed, shows as offer accepted on eBay purchase history.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

I have made offers on non-offer auctions. If the offer is processed thru ebay it shows as sold and shows the current asking price as the sold price, most times the  price I paid was $10's of less.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Partyline4

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 20, 2018, 01:05:46 PM
I have made offers on non-offer auctions. If the offer is processed thru ebay it shows as sold and shows the current asking price as the sold price, most times the  price I paid was $10's of less.
Jim S.

That's how you know they didn't have a clue what they had....Taking a shot in the dark on value.

kleenax

I wonder if the vintage FLASHLIGHT collection shown in the photos was included? And, how bout those 4 bells from an old ice cream cart laying there too?  Cool stuff!  I have to say, I wouldn't have given him much more than $200 for all of those phones; they're all pretty plain-jane.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC