News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"FONADEK" for the busy executive in your life...

Started by gpo706, March 20, 2011, 07:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

Got myself a Fonadak too. Payed 3.20 GBP for it on Ebay! Could not believe I won that!

Just arrived and it works! I put a Dutch plug on in after confirming it ran on 220 V and not 110.

A previous owner put wooden blocks under it. But these can be removed easily. It is complete and undamaged. Some TLC and it will look like new.

Fascinating item. It has three vacuum tubes (that survived the trip from the UK), volume control button at the side. And a jack plug socket at the back. So I can hook it up to a recording device.

Not sure what the adjustment screw on the back is for.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Owain

Quote from: Owain on October 20, 2011, 03:24:15 AM
I remember reading an article (can't remember where) saying the Duke of E. was rather disillusioned with the outdated set-up at Buck Hice when he married Mrs. Windsor.

As a Navy man he was used to telephoning when he wanted something, not sending for a footman to deliver a message several hours later.

Although the Royal Warrant refers to the Household and not the Royal person himself, I think it quite likely he would have used such an item.

There are further details of the late HRH's love of gadgets in this BBC article today, following his death at 99 years old:

QuoteBefore the Coronation, when Philip and the future Queen moved into Clarence House in 1949, he happily installed an array of labour-saving devices, including one in his wardrobe that would eject a suit at the push of a button.

At Buckingham Palace, Philip had intercoms put in so that servants no longer had to ferry written messages to his wife. He carried his own luggage, and cooked his own breakfast in his rooms with an electric frying pan - until the Queen objected to the smell.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42651950

RIP HRH.