News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd WE Metal Wall Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 09, 2012, 02:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

For whatever reason, I just bought this: ebay link.  I have been looking for a WE 553, but they always seem to sell in the $100 neighborhood or more.  This one is strange though.  The dial is North, and the receiver looks like a Kellogg.  The hook is mounted higher than on any of the 553s that I have seen on-line, and there is a "Press to Talk" lever by the hook.  I hope that this phone is more or less a legitimate model.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Yes, the transmitter bracket looks like it is being held by one screw and rotated itself 180 deg.

Thank You

Larry

wds

Obviously a WE, but with the North dial, maybe a kellogg receiver - but the oddest part is the receiver arm.  It has a lock button of some sort, and the arm itself doesn't look like a WE arm.  Must have been refurbished by a Independent phone company?  I don't have one of those in my collection, but it's certainly on my list.  You got a good price on this one.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Thank you for the information.  Unfortunately, the seller did not include pictures of the sides.  I am anxious to see the phone in person and to find out what was done to the hook switch.

Larry

rdelius

Most Likely assembled by a refurbisher, possible war time.Might have been a non dial set or a subset.Look for holes in strange places

G-Man

Sargeguy

I would say its a good deal, the transmitter and cone are worth at least $40 if they are complete, maybe more depending on the #.  I'd be interested to get a look inside.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

It left Des Moines two days ago, so I hope that it will arrive tomorrow.  I would think that the North dial is worth $30.  Anyway, i will try to post more on this after it arrives.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  I think that the theory or a war time refurbishing of a subset may be accurate.  I do not have a real WE to compare with it, but it looks like a 634 subset which was professionally converted into a phone.  It has the hole on the upper right side like a 623 box.  I will try to post some pictures as soon as I have a chance.

Larry