News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing a stuck coin door, any suggestions?

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, June 10, 2018, 06:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fushigi Ojisan

The Northern Electric 2236QC I picked up in Lancaster came with a coin door, but it has no lock, and won't move.   My concern is I don't want to try prying it off if there is a less harmful way  My theory is that its either super-glued or soldered on.

What says the group?

Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

Butch Harlow

Go around the edge with a mat knife. The door is cast iron I would pry lightly through the lock hole. If no luck, take off the lower housing and smack it out if there is nothing mechanical holding it in place. Then, I am guessing a 30C lock and key will fit.
Butch Harlow

kleenax

Quote from: Fushigi Ojisan on June 10, 2018, 06:38:56 PM
The Northern Electric 2236QC I picked up in Lancaster came with a coin door, but it has no lock, and won't move.   My concern is I don't want to try prying it off if there is a less harmful way  My theory is that its either super-glued or soldered on.

What says the group?

They sometimes just fit REALLY tightly in the opening. I really doubt it's glued, and you can't solder it, so it's just stuck in there. What I do is to get a tool, like a screwdriver that will fit in the lock hole, and slowly bend it at a right-angle to make kind of a hook on the end that will still fit thru the lock hole, and thread it in there, then JERK hard on it and the door should come right out. After you have it out, you can file it up a bit to get it to work a little more loosely.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

trainman

Since the doors wont stay on without a lock, i wouldnt overlook the possibility someone stuck it in with epoxy. Another possibility is maybe someone secured it from the back somehow. Harder to do, but not impossible. If prying doesnt work, then take it apart from the back and see whats going on.

kleenax

Quote from: trainman on June 10, 2018, 08:27:52 PM
Since the doors wont stay on without a lock, i wouldnt overlook the possibility someone stuck it in with epoxy. Another possibility is maybe someone secured it from the back somehow. Harder to do, but not impossible. If prying doesnt work, then take it apart from the back and see whats going on.
Many times, they WILL stay on without doing anything because "some" doors fit so tight or the bottom channel is tight.
But sometimes, I have seen people actually mount a spring to the door and the inside backboard so the door is held in by the stretched spring. I would still say that prying it off using a tool thru the lock hole will most likely work.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RB

I am with Kleenax, that, or a really big hammer...just kidding...or am I??? ;)

HarrySmith

Posted in the other topic on this phone, he got it off. Apparently it was glued in. The suggestion about inserting a knife in the edges to cut the glue and prying through the keyhole worked.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fushigi Ojisan

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 11, 2018, 10:26:20 AM
Posted in the other topic on this phone, he got it off. Apparently it was glued in. The suggestion about inserting a knife in the edges to cut the glue and prying through the keyhole worked.

Thank you, that is correct.

I did try some basic prying first (put a screwdriver into the hole and push) but I didn't want to hurt anything.  I also tried prying with a small chisel, no go.   

It was the suggestion to score around the opening with a knife blade that did it.   I didn't have a razor blade handy, but a small jeweler's screwdriver dragged along the seam worked just fine.

Ended up being generic super glue.

Glad it was, otherwise I would've pondered taking off the back.

A new lockset has been ordered
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies