and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BellSouth's "Press Blue To Get Through"

Started by Markgregory, August 01, 2018, 03:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markgregory

Press Blue to Get Through
BellSouth's colorful #1 long distance payphone service was short lived

In 1998 BellSouth Public Communications introduced a single slot payphone with two special blue-coated keys. Those BellSouth blue keys, the "1"and "#" were for a new competitively priced long distance speed-dial service competing with AT&T's successful 1 800 CALL ATT.  The new easy-to-use long distance calling service was promoted under the catch phrase press blue to get through.

When customers dialed the blue # and 1 keys in sequence, they reached an automated menu with an interactive voice available in English and Spanish. The caller was prompted through long distance dialing options including operator assistance and national directory assistance. Calls could be billed collect, charged to a BellSouth's calling card, or charged to popular credit cards like MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Domestic and international calls were available.

According to BellSouth officials their plan was to expand the BellSouth #1 service throughout its nine-state Southeast region. Locations for payphones with blue keys included business centers, airports, truck stops, convenience stores, shopping malls, college campuses, community centers, tourist venues and other spots with a high demand for long distance calls.

Coincidentally, Press Blue To Get Through was introduced not too long before BellSouth's February, 2001 announcement that they were exiting the payphone business entirely. In 2001 BellSouth had 143,000 payphones in service in the southeast and they wanted them all gone by the end of 2002.  That's probably why you don't often see BellSouth single slot payphones with the blue keys. These enhanced payphones came on the scene late and faded into history as traditional payphones gave way to pagers and wireless cell phones. Here is a comment from a company spokesman published by The Associated Press in February 2001: "People are making new choices," A BellSouth spokesman, David Blumenthal, said. "We've obviously recognized that pay phones are not part of that."

The Fortress payphone with blue keys I purchased on eBay in 2012 apparently sat on a shelf in a BellSouth warehouse in Birmingham, Alabama, for quite some time. The seller, who purchased many surplus payphones, was not even sure if the phone was new or used or ever placed in service. It simply looked that good. However, upon close inspection, I found a few scratches on the outside of the coin return. It lead me to believe the phone was likely a mildly used model 1D2 with a new pad and blue keys installed just before BellSouth discontinued payphones. 

The top information card that came with my phone was labeled as BSPC-#1UPPER. There was no card production date printed on it and it states the long distance service was "Provided By BellSouth's Preferred Carrier Teltrust." I have also seen cards that say the long distance provider was "Qwest Communications" (card BSPC-#1 UPPER 9/01) and cards with no carrier identified at all. Interestingly, the card with Qwest Communications on it was made just one month before articles about the new service appeared in the news.   Also, an interesting small detail is that of the two original top instruction cards I have, one is BellSouth light blue and the other is a much richer color, more like Royal blue. Therefore, there does not appear to be consistency here. No big deal, just a small observation. 

Being unfamiliar with Press Blue to Get Through I decided to do online research. I googled the internet and found a few obscure references about the payphones and BellSouth's long distance Press Blue service. I found only two photos of BellSouth telephones with blue keys. One owned by a long time payphone collector and my own.  If you own one I would love to see it.

A short fact-filled article about these payphones and the program can be read at freelibary.com. The story is dated October 1, 1998, and was based on press release/marketing information from BellSouth. Research revealed that by the time the article was written at least three BellSouth location providers had already adopted the service with payphones converted in the Nashville, Charlotte and Louisville airports. Supposedly by the time the article was published a few hundred phones were modified with the blue keys. Here is a direct link: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/BELLSOUTH+LAUNCHES+SPEED-DIAL+FOR+PAYPHONE+LONG+DISTANCE.-a053045359.

Finally, attached to this message are downloadable images of BellSouth payphone instruction cards from 1998. The top card was designed specifically for Press Blue To Get Through and the other is from the same year (4/98). The Press Blue card is a reproduction of the new old stock BellSouth card that came with my payphone.  I scanned both at 300 dots per inch so they are high resolution.  If you own one of these payphones these time-appropriate cards will give it an authentic look.  Simply download, print and trim the cards to fit.  Mark

HarrySmith

Got any pictures? We love pictures!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Markgregory

Here are some photos.

Mark

Markgregory

2 more photos.  Mark

HarrySmith

very Cool. That is a nice little setup you got there, matching stool and all! Are the Blue buttons regular metal ones painted?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Markgregory

Thanks for the compliment on my setup.  The keys are metal. BellSouth says they are "coated" BellSouth blue. Mark

compubit

I've seen a pay phone with the blue buttons, but no sign with an explanation.

Cool!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Markgregory

Hi Jim,

I am happy to hear that you learned something from my post about Press Blue To G̲e̲t̲ Through. This is why I spent the time researching the subject and wrote about it. Your comments made my day. Mark

tallrick

My bedroom payphone was one of those but I did not have the correct cards for it.

Markgregory

Thanks for leaving a reply. Wondering. From your note I got the impression you no longer have the "Press Blue To G̲e̲t̲ Through" phone. Do you still have it? 

Mark

tallrick

Still have the phone, but it was a COCOT phone retired from BellSouth. The phone was abandoned in 2008 or so and I rescud it, The phone h as been mounted in my bedroom since I fixed it

robert_m

Yeap, I have 2 of them, and i think i have at least 2 NOS dial assembly / hook switch assemblys for that specifc Payphone, that should have a Protel 7000 board in with custom firmware for bell south, the 1 is bassically a speeddail.  Programable with expressnet.

robert_m

I still have mine, but using a diffrent upper sign and i have the rare additional upper top sign, I think i still have a couple original ones that match your upper housing 1 to get threw.

Its hanging in my garage, recently i ditched the 7000 boad and put 8000 board in it instead as the 8000 allow you to program (NO BAND COSTING) basically for 25 cents regardless of where your dialing.  Its attachech to my OOMA VoIP line.

Key2871

I had heard about those, but never saw one in person.
Thanks for the card scan, Mark those will be nice to print out.
Very cool set up with all bell south signs and colors.

Ken
KEN

robert_m

Quote from: Key2871 on February 19, 2019, 02:01:48 PM
I had heard about those, but never saw one in person.
Thanks for the card scan, those will be nice to print out.
Very cool set up with all bell south signs and colors.

Ken

Ill try to get good HQ scan on the upper and lower and the FLAG (header one) later in week, have to dig them out of my attic.  I will entertain offers on originals from bell as i know i have at least 2 sets, if i recall.