"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Single Slot Phone Modification

Started by ramegoom, September 06, 2018, 10:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on September 07, 2018, 11:18:34 PM
I think you may be able to call in to it, but you won't be able to call out, unless you make an initial deposit.
It is anon-coin phone (per the instruction card). It also has a data port. I assume you could make a card call or connect to the web with this telephone.
That is why I think it is oddball enough to keep as it is.
JMO,
JIM S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

ramegoom

The modular jack is an 8 pin that connects between the coin mechanism and the circuit board, along with the D-sub connector. Then there's a smaller modular connector that has four wires, for the coin diverter coil and a magnetic switch for the coin box. I don't see another modular connector that would attach to an incoming line. But I'm still searching.

The screw terminals seem to be there to attach to the CO wiring. Unsure how it connects up at that point.

Payphone installer

Looks like a Protel 6000 to me,if there was a pic of the board I could say for sure. Data port took a simple toll restrictor that was wired past the board. The phone took coins and credit cards. There was no data associated with processing a credit card. It was a speed dial number to a processor that then accepted digits from the phone. The phone read the card then converted the numbers it read to digits it would be the same as dialing you card number from  a telephone into  any platform where there is no card swipe.

Key2871

Looks like a coin much in there. Unless that thing is designed to just return coins. Have you tried?
KEN

ramegoom

The coin mech is functional, but I can't quite figure it out. There is a diverter on the bottom of the coin trail, and a shelf on the top. There is only one relay and if I hold the relay in, the coins from the chute go directly to the coin return. But I don't understand how the coins get into the coin box - the operation of the solenoid (when not energized) holds the coins, and when energized, dumps them into the coin return. Doesn't seem any electrical feature to dump coins into the coin box, yet there is a chute within the coin mechanism. ---Only one solenoid, not two---

Anyway, if I tie the solenoid into a closed position, the coins go directly into the coin return, so for demonstration sake, that should work perfectly. I also had to tweak the coin path so the coin would flow thru the mechanism properly. With no external control, it'd work as a demonstration phone.

The only thing I need to find out is exactly what outside connections need to be there to make it work as a stand-alone phone. Using the "shotgun" approach, I can gut the electronics within the phone, and graft an ordinary phone's internals into it to make the receiver and hook functional. I'm leaning towards that since my switchboard has only two wires to each phone, tip and ring, and if it can become a station to the switchboard, I'm happy.

HarrySmith

Since it is an unusual phone maybe don't gut it. You could use one of those keypads and keep the dial so it can be returned to original easily. Just my opinion.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ramegoom

I keep leaning toward just hooking it up to a dial tone generator and battery, keeping it internal. But it would be so nice to make it switchboard-functional. Tough call. It's in very very good condition now that I re-finished the outside.

Payphone installer

Coin chute is only live in off hook,it wont take coins on in a non energized state. I can now see the chute says ITS you probably wont ever find a working board for that. If you want it to collect and return coins you could change to protel guts the pad might work with those guts. . If you want to just have it work D set guts might work. Its probably unless as it sits today.

ramegoom

Kind of what I was thinking. Electronic interface non-existent.

I rigged the coin mech to return every coin that goes into it, independent of the coin return lever.

Four terminals on the small pc board connect to the handset. I figure I could use an old trimline internals to interface with the handset, along with its bells, and fit that inside the phone. It'd become somewhat functional minus the key pad and credit card reader. Still. It'd work as a dummy phone for my switchboard. I think that's the route I'm headed.