"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Mechanism_What kind is this?

Started by ExNihilo, July 23, 2013, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExNihilo

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have just recently started buying a few old phones. I really like this 302 with a metal base. The phone rings and I can receive calls. One thing it does not do is dial out. When I dial numbers, the phone often returns to the dial tone. If I do manage to dial a number (by going really fast), I sometimes get the wrong number.

I notice that the sound and feel of this phone's dial mechanism is different from my other 302. It makes a neat ticking (or clicking) sound as you dial the numbers. I also noticed that the way the numbers are laid on this phone is different. The finger stop(?) is way down at the bottom. Am I right in thinking that this is not the original dial mechanism?

As my knowledge level in phones at this point is VERY limited, I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer me in getting this thing working properly. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Scott

< edit 03-20-22 : externally linked images attached >

LarryInMichigan

Scott,

Welcome to the forum.  That dial looks like an Automatic Electric (AE) type 24.  It may have been installed in the phone by an independent phone company.  Is the handset on that phone marked "F1W"?

Larry

WesternElectricBen

That looks like it has a AE dial. Which I've never seen before on a 302.

Like Larry said, it was probably added by a independent telephone company, which might increase the value or it just might stay the same.  

Ben

Ohh cool, this is my 800th post....

wds

The inside of the phone almost looks like it has been treated - do you suppose it's a signal corps phone?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on July 23, 2013, 11:13:31 AM
The inside of the phone almost looks like it has been treated - suppose it's a signal corps phone?

I wouldn't expect that type of dial to be used in a Signal Corps phone because it does not have the normally closed contact pair for the receiver (WE-style).  I think that all of the Signal Corps dials I have include the extra contacts.

Larry

stub

Scott,
         Welcome to the CRPF. Your dial is a AE 24 .  Place a piece of typing paper into the top (impluse ) set of contacts on the dial ( in your pic) and rotate the dial one number and hold it there while pulling the paper back and forth thru the contact. .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ExNihilo

WOW! Thank you all for your help!

That paper rubbing seemed to do the trick. I can dial out now without problems.

Another thing about this phone that seems different to me is the way the cords are arranged. The handset cord goes out the back instead of the side. I tried to switch the arrangement, but the cords don't seem to quite fit the other way. Anyway, here are some more pictures of the phone. It has a very loud ring... almost too loud really. The phone sits on my desk and the thing just about gives me a heart attack every time it rings.  :)

< edit 03-20-22 : externally linked images attached >

Thank you again everyone!

Sincerely, Scott

LarryInMichigan

The "MFP" indicates that it was moisture and fungus proofed by the Signal Corps.  The cords are routed incorrectly.  the handset cord should enter on the side.

What is embossed on the handset?

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Weird its a 1941 then remarked 1950 on the base, I didn't really know the ever put refurb dates on these.

Am I right did they?

Ben

poplar1

Are the wires from the phone to the handset connected inside the handset as follows?
Black to BK
Red to R
White to W

If so, then on the dial, the black handset wire should be on the 3rd terminal from the top (in your picture) and the white handset wire should be on the bottom screw with the blue-brown wire.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Welcome Scott!

The H-1 mounting code seen on your phone indicates it started life as a 302, so the dial was most likely added by a non-Bell System entity, as was described.

There were military models of the 302 that were provided with non-Western Electric dials to conform to government purchasing requirements.  Examples can be seen here (along with other 300-series background):

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#TP6A

Sets were MFP treated for duty in humid environments.  The 1950 stamp on yours possibly indicates that it was refurbed and treated for the Korean War.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ExNihilo

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 23, 2013, 02:29:42 PM

What is embossed on the handset?

Here is what it says on the handset:

< edit 03-20-22 : externally linked image attached >

poplar1

This phone may have been a non-dial set. The rubber gasket for the dial is missing, as it would be on a non-dial set. Also, there is only one screw holding the dial, along with an odd washer.

And...they miswired the dial and routed the cords incorrectly. The S hook on the handset cord should be attached like the line cord.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ExNihilo

BTW, I am in Ontario Canada and picked up this phone and 5 others at an antique store in Cambridge. Does that make a difference?

I have been wanting to get an old phone for a couple of years but could never find them. Then, just last week, on of the booths at a large antique mall had a bunch.... So, I bought them all. Was that crazy or what? Perhaps it was a bit unwise as I don't know really much about them.... However, I have been reading and studying and am learning more. This is what I got:

Three 302s
Two North Electric Galions
One 202 (but it doesn't have a ringer box)

They all work, although the Galions aren't ringing yet. Would you mid if I started another thread and asked you about that one?

Thank you.

LarryInMichigan

I suspect that this phone was assembled from various parts.  The "Bell System" handset would not have come with a Signal Corps phone nor would it have been used by an independent telco.

You can certainly start another thread about the Norths or continue it here.  Chances are that they do not ring because they have frequency (party line) ringers which only ring when a voltage at a specific frequency is supplied.  Most North H-series ('Galion') phones were supplied with such ringers.

Larry