"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Hotel/Residence Phone Generator Question

Started by Rexophone, October 10, 2017, 12:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

You're welcome! Wow, very strange!
I can't see how a magneto would have ever been in this box then, especially without nail holes by the crank hole. I wonder if this box could of been assembled from spare parts? But I still don't understand why it would have a crank hole and no magneto, with no evidence of a magneto ever being installed in the box. Does the crank hold look factory? It is cut nice and clean? I have seen some people modify an intercom phone and drill a hole and install a dummy crank, to make it look like a magneto phone.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Rexophone

Yes, I can't imagine why there would be a crank hole if no generator was to be installed.  I just took a flashlight to the hole and it looks well done as if it is a factory job.  I still wonder if the "S" at the end of the four digit schematic number has any meaning-- like special.  But that would not explain the hole.  I cannot imagine that anything would've shipped with an unused hole that large in the side.  It would've either not been drilled, or it would have been plugged.

Steve

Holtzer-Cabot

Very true! Truly odd. I've never seen this before. I would think too that the hole would of at least been plugged. I wonder if anyone else here will have any more ideas!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

dsk

Based on all info from this thread, for me it looks like this one:
It may even look like it has had the button on top of the left side.

You are missing a lot of parts, but the finish makes it look pretty original, so what do you want to do? 
Bild it up with other parts being a refurbed magneto telephone, just leave it with the exterior finish? or add some parts and use it on your P.O.T.S or SIP -line? (if you have) (Or even a Bluetooth adapter?)

In the most extreme modernizing, you may put in a mini-network a new transmitter capsule and even a receiver capsule.  An external keypad hidden somewhere may let you dial out.

What is actually your goal?

dsk

TelePlay

This magneto currently on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kellogg-telephone-magneto-with-crank-handle/152763589330

has a narrow side profile, 4 bars and only 4 holes in the back plate to mount it to the wood case. The bottom is not shown but the images show a bottom plate smaller than the magnets with no mounting "ears" protruding and no way to get bolts "through" the bottom. As such, it looks like it just would sit in the back corner held in place by the two upper mounting holes.

Also, the crank is withing the gear radius and as such would allow turning but with limited clearance between the wood case and the wall, unless it was mounted on a back board, as with a 2 piece wall phone, providing another inch or so of clearance.

Rexophone

Thanks John and DSK,

Yes, from the catalog information I have seen that catalog photo is my phone except with the generator.  From my measurements my phone would take a standard size Kellogg generator just like the one on eBay.  I really don't want to drill holes to install a generator if one was not already there, although it annoys me to have a crank hole without a generator.  From my research into Kellogg phones of this age it would seem that every generator I have found uses bolt holes at the bottom of the generator and most use wood screws on that attachment plate you see on the eBay unit to secure the generator to the back of the phone.  My point is that my box does not have either set of holes on the bottom or the back.

Yes I am missing parts, but primarily the induction coil unless I am mistaken about the generator.  My plan is to restore the phone to its original electrical condition and perhaps connect it to my other magneto phones (granddaughter loves ringing the bells).  The case did not start out in the condition you see, but I was able to enhance the original finish enough that I could save it.

Again, thanks for your input.  I am not primarily a phone collector, so I need the wisdom of this group.

Steve

dsk

The pictures of the other phones seems to hang the generator with 2 wooden screws in the height of the top of the big gear or the top of the magnets. I can not see any marks on your back wall after those. If you don't either you may be right about that is not the way your generator has been fixed to the cabinet. 

dsk

Holtzer-Cabot

I cna confirm that. I have a 1903 Stromberg-Carlson candlestick with magneto ringer box, and the magneto is secured with 4 machine screws on the bottom, and 2 wood screws on the bracket for the backboard.

TelePlay

This parts list view of a "similar" Kellogg magneto shows two ears on the base, the generator housing, front and back.

Not 4 but 2 which corresponds to a lot of images I've seen showing one front and one rear bolt on the bottom of the box.

Holtzer-Cabot

I have seen that too. Some magnetos are held in with 4 bolts like mine, and others have 2 bolts. Some smaller magnetos only use one center bolt on the bottom.