News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE L4111 Model 47, 2 line phone

Started by wds, November 17, 2011, 07:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked this up recently, and was able to get all three lines to work, and the ringer.  Does anyone else have this phone?  I'm interested in finding out what all the other cord wires are for - this phone had a nice wiring diagram, and I've checked the wiring diagram on the TCI website, but the diagrams don't explain that the other wires go to.  Also, is it possible to have the internal ringer ring for all three lines?  Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

AE_Collector

AE 47. The ringer can only be connected to one of the lines. I can't recall but does it have a 10 or a 16 conductor cord? 6 conductors for 3 lines and the rest are for potential uses of the button up top. Possibly a push button for a buzzer circuit which would potentially mean 4 conductors as the set would likely have a buzzer added to it on 2 conductors and 2 conductors from the button out to the other buzzer in another phone in the office. The button can be used for Exclusion as well so that would need a couple extra conductors.

Terry

rdelius

That set is an AE type 47 set. You appear to be missing the chrome escutcheons around the buttons (hold and line). The ringer will only work on one line. the button near the cradle can be a 3rd line if needed to be wired as as a push button.Reproduction rubber base rings are available.
It is a tight fit but it is possible to fit a buzzer inside for the 2nd line. These sets were introduced much later than the type 40 single line sets. Do not know if any colored ones were produced.
Robby

wds

Mine has 10 conductors.  My wiring diagram actually shows more than the diagram on the TCI web site.  Mine shows additional wiring for two more external ringer boxes.  I was able to trace out the 3 two pair phone lines, which leaves 4 more conductors.  The wiring diagram shows all 10 wires, but it doesn't explain the purpose of the remaining 4 wires.  If I actually wired this phone up to 3 lines, would the functionality of the phone be affected by not connecting the other 4 wires?  

AE should did a nice job of cramming all those wires inside the body of a 40 model phone.  Quite impressive.
Dave

wds

The chrome plates are there - they just don't show up very well in my picture.
Dave

wds

This one is already wired for the button on top to be the 3rd line.  Are you aware of any manuals that might explain all the wiring possibilities for the extra 4 wires?
Dave

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on November 17, 2011, 08:23:06 PM
AE should did a nice job of cramming all those wires inside the body of a 40 model phone.  Quite impressive.

It is a mechanical masterpiece inside isn't it!

Most keysets had spare leads for what ever they might be needed for as opposed to being specifically for certain functions. I haven't looked at the leads for a 47 specifically but would assume that the spare leads could be moved around inside to accomplish what ever functions were wanted.

GG spoke a fair bit about AE 47's in one or more posts on here so you might be able to find some more info be searching. He is usually on here in the later evening (Pacific Time) so will undoubtably have some more info for you.

They were (somewhat surprisingly) available in colors but I don't know exactly which ones. After Ray's colored AE find we can't rule out any and all possibilities. John Kolger has a Royal Blue AE 47.

Terry

wds

I found the link and thought I would attach it to this thread for future reference. 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5514.0
Dave

GG

Yep, I have two of those AE 47s, both are fully intact and not modified by end-users (e.g. by putting a mod cord on there for single-line service). 

These appear to be very versatile and in my opinion we won't know about all the possibilities and how they were used, until/unless we have the AE Practices documents on these phones. 

I have to believe that between us, ACTA, and TCI, someone out there has to have the documentation, and could post it online. 

Some hints may be found in AE sales literature about these, at least describing what they could do and what applications they were designed for.

Another thing to do would be to find one with a schematic that can be removed without tearing the paper, and scan the schematic, enlarge it, and color-highlight the wiring that pertains to various functions.   

I'd suggest avoiding trying to take the whole thing apart.  I've been into this stuff for over 30 years and have rarely run into a phone I'd be reluctant to disassemble, but these are definitely a challenge and require lots of workbench space to work on.  In any case there's no need to take it all apart (unless your dial needs work), when we can figure out the functions by experimenting, analyzing the schematic, and finding the AE Practices docs. 

BTW, the line cord at the area of the cord entry hole, can become abraded and the outer jacket frayed from friction with the cord entry hole, so treat that area of the cord carefully.  Also try to avoid twisting the cord when turing the phone over for disassembly: keep the cord wrapped up in a neat circle on your workbench and turn the whole cord over at the same time as you turn the set over.  Also note that since the cord entry hole is large, the area of plastic between it and the bottom edge of the housing is less than on a regular AE 40, so that is a potential point of weakness that could break, and should be treated carefully as well. 

What I did with the cord on one, that had become frayed, was neatly do a friction tape wrap around the frayed area where it passed through the hole.  This is not particularly noticeable but in any case it was necessary.  But even if your cord isn't frayed there, you may want to do likewise as a preventive measure, if you expect to put the phone in service where it'll get moved around your desk from time to time. 

wds

Thanks.  Your posting on the other link was very helpful.  Can I assume that the button on top acted as a dual use button - down for intercom/buzzer , and up for 3rd line?  If so, that might explain the remaining wires.  I might be up for the challenge of tracing out those remaining wires.
Dave