"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft plastic beige 302??

Started by baldopeacock, May 19, 2010, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Terry;
I think many would also agree. I just look at the underside of the phone and see not a single spot that is less beige than the rest of the phone, Ivory to me will show  a more yellow color, and not so much the beige,  sort of  a cream color rather than a tan. I just don't think it would darken than evenly throughout, nor would ivory turn that tan.
Here is a photo of the handset from my uncleaned Ivory 302 dated 1953, I know it's hard to tell color on a computer, but this phone being a very close same vintage as the 302 in question, you can clearly see my handset has turned more yellow than it has beige or tan. An inside shot shows much the same. In the next photo you see the auction phone is very tan appearing, and really nothing like my housing.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

I've just noticed something in the comparison of the two cases. The auction photo IS a Ray housing. Notice the round molded switch hole, is not present in the auction photo, but is present in my housing, Ray says he left that out on purpose so fakes would not show up later.
Also wouldn't they have used the later version dial, like in mine, instead of the earlier one, dated 1949..Also no inside case markings.
D/P

Doug Rose

Dan...

!.  That is a giant leap to say Ray Kotke made this because the is no switch hole. I do not think Ray made this. I feel strongly on this. If he did, it would not have the stain from the gasket as it would be way too new. He would also have made a matching headset.

2. Thermoplastic Ivory does fade to yellow, you are making the same theory that soft plastic does. It is lighter on the inside than the outside

3. There is no documentation of  Beige being made  in soft plastic for a WE 302. Beige was basically introduced with the 500 set colors

again just my opinion.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I made that statement, because as far as I know, No one else makes the cases, and as far as I know the 302 did have the plugged hole, which Ray has made it clear, he left that portion out intentionally.
I wonder what Ray would think, knowing his sure fire cure for no one making fake relic would be now, that it seems not to make a difference whether it's there or not. I highly doubt someone went to the trouble to make one case, and I know of no other manufacturer that is making them.

I'm not stating that the inside is lighter than the outside, quite the contrary, I say they match.

If there is no documentation for beige sets, and without the plugged hole, (unless later models did not have the plugged hole.) And you say Ray did not make it. Then where did it come from ?

I will say the discoloration around the dial is convincing of an older case than Ray makes. But why no Switch hole ? Did models of the 302 come without the switch hole being present ?

Regardless of where the set comes from, I do not think it is aged Ivory. It's just too tan.

D/P

Dan/Panther

I've just opened about a half dozen 302's. Mostly late 40's to early 50's. I've found that they also do not have the switch hole section molded into the case.
I've come to the conclusion that MAYBE Ray was referring strictly to the 1939 Worlds Fair clear 302 case. The left out switch hole is very common in later examples of the 302.
I stand corrected on that point.
One other item. I have what is obviously a factory painted 302 in Beige. I was told that they did not make a beige painted 302, HOWEVER I have found out that Northern Electric DID make one.
Maybe what we have here is a Canadian made phone.
The Northern Electric company did do thing s slightly different from Western Electric.

D/P

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 27, 2010, 02:04:57 PM
I have what is obviously a factiry painted 302 in Beige.
D/P

Is it a metal phone or plastic? My painted "Ivory" 302 that I mentioned yesterday is a metal bodied phone and it is more than likely a NECo. I consider it to be Ivory but it could be beige.

Terry

Dan/Panther

unbeldi

Just to update this old topic, with a link to another topic that discusses these ivory 302 housings in more detail:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14045.0

The thread explains the color and plastic used.