News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 ringer wiring -> Link to AE40 Wiring Diagram in Reply #10

Started by wds, January 22, 2013, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I finally got around to finishing a project phone.  Nice looking phone when i bought it, but didn't have the ringer, or the wires for the ringer.  It has two condensors, the small one is a .08 mf, the large one on the base is 4 mf.  I've looked all through this forum hoping to find the proper wiring for the ringer.  I also looked through the TCI site, but still nothing.  I read somewhere on here that the smaller condensor was used if the phone had a frequency ringer, which this phone might have had.  If so, why does the larger condensor have 4 terminals?  I ended up disconnecting the smaller condenser, and wired the ringer to the two unused terminals (the two closet to the ringer) and it works fine.   Can anyone tell me the proper wiring for this phone, including which of the 4 terminals goes where, and when to use the smaller condensor?
Dave

poplar1

The .08 is only for a __-cycle frequency ringer. As your original photo shows, the capacitor for the talk circuit was the one in the base with the two screws.

When you substituted the capacitor with 4 wires, you no longer need the small capacitor. I believe the new capacitor would connect the same as the two original capacitors. This should be indicated on the diagram inside the phone. Use the connections for bridged ringers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

The small condenser attached to the shell should not be needed.  The one on the base is actually two capacitors, one for the ringer, which should be .4 or .5 MF, and the other for the talk circuit.

I don't think that any of my AE40s have such a large ringer.

Larry

wds

I didn't substitute condensors, the phone had the smaller one in the housing, and the 4 wire condensor on the base.  Trouble with the wiring diagrams is they don't say which of the 4 terminals is for the talk side, and which of the 4 terminals is for the ringer.  Or maybe it doesn't matter which two I use?

I just seemed a little odd that this phone had both condensors. 
Dave

poplar1

Sorry, I assumed the "before" picture had the large capacitor with 2 screw terminals (in the base).

I think the values are stamped on the capacitor with 4 wires. The talk capacitor is larger (maybe 4 uf). The other  one needs to be between 0.47 and 1.0 in order to ring the straight-line ringer. 0.08 is not large enough.

You can use 1 (or 2?) 0.47 uf capacitors borrowed from a Starlite or Styleline if neither the 4-wire capacitor nor the small one in the upper housing has the correct value.

I can't find a diagram for an AE 40 either here or in the  TCI library. If there is none, maybe you can take a picture of the diagram in your phone.

LarryInMichigan

The can on the base has two capacitors.  For each capacitor, one lead is on the bottom and the other on the top as you look down at the base.  It is very important that you use the correct one for each.  They are usually marked near the terminals.

Larry

AE_Collector

As best I have been able to figure the dual capacitor is for phones with SL ringers and maybe some of the frequency ringers and with other frequenies of ringers that need a different value of capacitor the small capacitor mouted tothe side of the case is used. Thus these phones would have either two seperate capacitors OR a combined dual capacitor. If phones were rehabed and the ringers changed they may have wound up with one of each in them.

Terry

poplar1

The type ringer originally in the phone may be stamped in the upper right corner of the paper diagram.

wds

Ok, it sounds like I wired it correctly.  I pulled the phone apart again and used my magnifying glass - 4 mf on the talk side, .7 on the ringer side.    I have about 5 of these phones, and pulled all of them apart to see how they were wired, and I'll be dipped if all 5 of them aren't wired differently.  One has a large condensor (5 mf)with only two leads, one has a large condensor (5 mf) with two leads and the smaller condensor (1 mf), the third has a 4 terminal condensor, 4 mf on one side, .7 mf on the other side, but without the smaller condensor, and the other two phones I don't remember.  

So now I know - the outside terminals marked 4 mf are the talk side, the inside terminals marked .7 is the ringer side.  Smaller condensor is used when the larger condensor only has two leads, and size of the smaller condensor varies between frequency ringers and sl ringers.  

Thanks for all the help!
Dave

poplar1

Will someone please post a wiring diagram? The schematic on the TCI site which does not have terminal numbers.

LarryInMichigan

The diagram here: TCI link has terminal numbers on it.  I used this diagram last week when I rewired one of my AE40s.

Larry

poplar1

Thanks, Larry. This is the same diagram found inside the telephone.

4 M.F. Cond. (talk) connects to T and 3
Cond. as Req. (ringer) connects to 4 and L1
Ringer connects to 5 and L2

(For some reason, when I search for "AE 40" on the TCI site, it says "No results.")

How do you post the actual diagram here?

poplar1

In

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=903.0

Reply # 2 shows an old link that no longer works:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/ae40.pdf

I tried to search ae40.pdf and aeco/ae40.pdf with no success. How do you change the old link to a working one?

AE_Collector

David:

I edited the link in the post that you mentioned so that it takes you to the AE40 wiring diagram that Larry posted above. I also moved that post (I am going to move this post as well) to the AE Wiring Diagrams Board.

Moderators can edit links and move posts when needed, just let us know when something needs doing! Of course the person who originally posted a link can always edit their own posts as well, no matter how old the post is.

It would be GREAT if we were able to insert the wiring diagrams like a JPG into the first post on all topics in the wiring diagrams area but I have absolutely no idea how to pame a PDF into a JPG or if it is even possible.

Terry

poplar1

Thanks Stub, Terry and Larry.

I think it is time to go to bed because I cannot find by searching the diagram that Larry posted the link for. I typed in AE40,Ae40Tl then AE40 then AE40Tl----what is the secret word to type in at the TCI site to get to this file? If I am unable to find this one, then I must be doing something wrong.